Saturday, July 16, 2016

Friday Flag-taileds, Saturday Stilt Sandpipers

Yesterday after work, I checked out McKeough Dam.  I finally saw a couple of Flag-tailed Spinyleg dragonflies for this year.



A Pronghorn Clubtail was a little more approachable.


Eastern Amberwing
Ugly Catfish


Today, Saturday, I went down to Point Pelee.  I was more interested in butterflies, but overcast conditions all morning did not help. It was supposed to be mainly sunny today, but as usual the weather forecast was wrong.  (and it was a weekend day!).

The Battered Tip


I saw nothing of note to my eyes!

Butterflies included 3 American Lady, 1 Hackberry Emperor, 1 Giant Swallowtail, among some other common types.

American Painted-Lady
Spot-winged Glider


Afterwards, I headed over to Blenheim sewage lagoons.  It is getting to be prime time for shorebirds, and there was a fair number to be seen.  The birds were rather skittish, so I could not get too close.
Two Stilt Sandpipers were the first of season.



A couple of Short-billed Dowitchers were still present.



There were lots of of Least and Semipalmated Sandpipers.  A single Pectoral Sandpiper was an early fall migrant.

A Couple of Waders


The male Redhead duck was still present.



No comments:

Post a Comment