Friday, June 24, 2016

Southern Comfort

It is just a title!

I managed to get off work early today, so I headed up to Reid CA in search of butterflies.  Hairstreaks are getting numerous and lots of Banded were out.




It did not take long to find a Southern (Northern Oak) Hairstreak.



In fact, I found at least four and likely five.  They can vary quite a bit, so you can often tell if you are seeing a different one.




Perhaps it is going to be a good year for them.  I am not sure it will match 2008, but seeing this many already is encouraging.  Maybe it is just good luck as in the past, you could watch for a long time and see none.

Saw the first Gray Commas as well today.



Dukes' Skippers should be appearing anytime.  I looked today but did not find any.


Fall migration is already underway and it is all downhill from here.  Days will now be getting shorter.
I had a Red-breasted Nuthatch in the yard early this morning--a possible sign that lots will be showing up this summer.


Here is an interesting stink bug I found:

Apateticus cynicus

Note:  I did not any editing of the photos in photoshop (couldn not be bothered!).

No comments:

Post a Comment