Saturday, September 14, 2013

Warbler Activity at Rondeau

My plan was to visit Rondeau Saturday morning as I knew birding would be decent.  Those hopes were almost dashed last evening when a certain bird was reported at Erieau.  I had some reservations about going there, but the post on Ontbirds early this morning confirmed my morning destination.


It was a cool morning, but warblers and other birds were everywhere.  I ended up with 21 species of warblers along south point trail.




I continued out south beach where a few shorebirds were along the surfline.




In the woody areas out there, warblers were plentiful.  Best was a Hooded!  Not the latest I have seen one at Rondeau, but nice.  Blackpoll and American Restart seemed to be the dominant warblers today.

Not many butterflies, but a check at the start of Marsh Trail where there is lots of goldenrod, revealed a Variegated Fritillary.  First one I have seen this year!  It did not co-operate for a good photo.




This afternoon along the Sydenham River, I found this Royal River Cruiser floating.  An orange bluet was resting on it!




No comments:

Post a Comment