Wednesday, November 14, 2012

A Champion Year



A rather quiet week here as the days are getting way too short and many birds have left for the south.
 Today, Wednesday, was a beautiful day.  No wind and the skies were clear for the most part.  I wish I was out birding!  The days are too short this time of year and leave virtually no time for birding during the week for those of us who have regular jobs.
I get my early morning walk in at Brander Park, but most birds have left now except for the residents and a few juncos that will likely winter there.  There are always things flying over, but this week was quiet!  I heard redpolls again today though.
Tundra Swans made a big push this week, with lots flying over.


I have not seen Sandhill Cranes in a month, despite looking along the usual concessions.  Seems odd because the last few years many have been feeding in the local corn fields.

Looks like I may miss Cave Swallows again this year, as many have been seen during this week.Seems everything shows up during the week!
I have been reviewing the many photos I took this year, and it was a good year for birding and butterflies.  (I will do a review at the end of the year). There were so many good butterfly sightings, I dread the day I sit down to make a spreadsheet of all my sightings for the annual TEA publication!  That will happen soon though.

I have been looking at blog stats and wondering if things are out of whack!  My last blog post ("Pelee Post") has had 202 hits.  Are people that bored?!  That is way over the stats of any post previously.
Times are tough and hopefully we will make it through the winter.  Some more work has come into the shop recently, but a far cry from previous years.  It is the slowest I have seen it since I started in 1986.
 Chris Craft XK 19 (1970)


It has been a "champion" year for birds and butterflies.  Just look at all the birds that have been checked off this year by Josh Vandermeulen! And others.

Zebra Swallowtail at Pelee in June

red form of the Common Buckeye in fall (this is the reddest one I have ever found!)

Unlike Jeremy's "silver bullet", this car below will not rust in peace and will live to see another day.  It belongs to the boss's brother and will be restored over the next year or so.  (times are getting desperate so we tackle anything!).
Studebaker Champion

2 comments:

  1. many of us other full time workers, bird through your bloggs and know whether it's worth pushing out to have a look when the weekend comes. Always a great read

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see you're taking on cars now as well! The Silver Bullet is officially gone now...I will miss the height at which I sat in that van. In a car I feel like I'm dragging on the ground.

    ReplyDelete