Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Dickcissel, Dukes', Skipper Delight!

Another beautiful day.  I have been getting up at the crack of dawn to take advantage of these days.  This morning I stopped by the Dickcissel spot at Port Lambton and one bird was right beside the road.  Again it was moving around a lot, but I managed to get a photo of it on a wire just above my car (bad angle!).







Butterflies were moving around with this hot weather and I got a surprise at break time this afternoon at work.  At three o'clock I stepped out the door for some fresh air and noticed a small light-coloured skipper flying around.  I got a closer look and was rather surprised to see a Common-Checkered Skipper!  My camera was just in my car, so I grabbed it to take some photos as I chased it around.



It was the first one I had seen away from Point Pelee.  Although the general area is mostly gravel and pavement with a few bits of grass and weeds, I do see quite a variety of butterflies passing through.  I have had other skippers such as Peck's and even Fiery, but the checkered was a pleasant surprise.

I checked my favourite spot for butterflies north of Wallaceburg right after work.  Not as many hairstreaks as I had hoped, but a few different species.  Also Dukes' Skipper were flying.  A friend got a good photo of one yesterday. I discovered this colony in 2008.  There are also Dion here, so one must look carefully!
Dukes' Skipper (photo by P. C.)

Some photos:









No comments:

Post a Comment