Sunday, June 24, 2012

Another Day of Birding/Butterflying

I hadn't been to Rondeau lately, so I headed there this morning.  I checked Ridgetown on the way and 3 Semipalmated Plovers were the only non-resident birds.
At Rondeau, Northern Pearly-Eyes are out as well as others.
Northern Pearly-eye

Down Harrison Trail I tried listening for a Yellow-breasted Chat, but heard a Blue-winged Warbler in its place.  Blue-winged nests every year at Rondeau, so not unusual.

I next checked out Blenheim Lagoons but nothing noteworthy there.  The Redheads are still swimming around as well as a female Hooded Merganser among others.
I drove over to Stefina Line and listened at the big pasture.  I heard a Dickcissel singing way at the back.  So chalk up another one!

Headed home to look for butterflies (or whatever) north of town.  More hairstreaks of course.   Many were Edwards's.  Reid CA seems to be the hotspot for those as in past years I have had dozens in one day!
Edwards' Hairstreak

Found another odd-looking Banded Hairstreak....Note missing portion of hindwing.


Banded Hairstreak

Lots of Appalachian Eyed Browns were flying.  Seems to be more than usual of those this year.
Great-spangleds were flying around.  Here is a good shot of one on Swamp Milkweed.

Lots of Common Painted-Lady have been around the last few days.


A Royal River Cruiser was flying around and it finally perched for me.  These big dragonflies are neat as they hang vertically.


I checked for Flag-tailed Spinyleg up at McKeough, but it is still too early.  Several Pronghorn Clubtails though.
Many other species out now.

Ruby Meadowhawk (female)

1 comment:

  1. Must be all those wonderful oaks at Reid that are generating a good population of Edward's Hairstreaks. I am a littel jealous of all your good ode and hairstreak sightings lately.

    ReplyDelete