Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Wednesday Wanderings

butterfly of the spring!

I had to take advantage of the warm weather late today.  The crazy invasion of butterflies continues!
Hundreds more of Red Admirals all over today.  Probably more than that of a week and a half ago.
I thought the best place to observe both birds and butterflies this evening was the McKeough CA and diversion channel north of here.
FOY birds included flycatchers of Eastern Kingbird and Great-crested.  Not many warblers to see except Yellow-rumped, Nashville, Black-throated Green, Common Yellowthroat, Yellow.

There were a lot of Question Marks.

Of note, I saw my first Monarch of the year.  Later I saw another!  Both quite fresh, but undoubtedly from farther south.  Mourning Cloaks were plentiful today.
Mourning Cloak
Along the causeway, I noted Common Painted Lady butterflies.  Never got a good photo of one though!
Painted Lady
As well, I was tickled to see a Common Buckeye.  Earliest I have seen one.  An idividual was reported today at Point Pelee by Henrietta O'Neill.  According to Alan Wormington, that one was record early for Ontario!  I had it in the back of mind today that the floodway would be a good spot to get an early Buckeye.  Sometimes hunches come true!
 Common Buckeye!

At Brander Park today, a Blue-winged Warbler was new for there for this year.  I found it again later in the day.
Blue-winged Warbler

Not as many birds as yesterday, but more Nashville Warblers.  Warbling Vireos were in various places today, and more Baltimore Orioles were around.
Nashville Warbler

Just as I got in this evening, Steve Charbonneau reported 3 American Avocets at McGeachy Pond, Erieau.  There is now exposed mud and finally after many years it looks like a good spot for shorebirds.  It was looking that way this past weekend, and I expected some Avocets to show up there at some point.


Swimming Pigeon!

1 comment:

  1. I think this pigeon is dead. It's eyes are missing and it's head is sunken back.

    ReplyDelete