Tuesday, May 1, 2012

May Day

Some things are so predictable!  With practically no birds to look at on the weekend, lots came in Monday morning (and today).
Large numbers of Yellow-rumped Warblers finally arrived. I checked my usual spots on the way to work each morning.  At Port Lambton there were about 30 Yellow-rumps, a Baltimore Oriole and other birds yesterday.  Rose-breasted Grosbeak greeted me as I went out the door yesterday.
Gray Catbirds arrived today. One in the yard, and a couple at Brander as well.


Today, a little more variety at Brander Park.  Among many Yellow-rumped Warblers, a Pine, Black-and-White, Yellow, Black-throated Green (2), and Palm (4).  I stopped in after work also and spent quite a bit of time there.  I added a male Orchard Oriole, heard a Solitary Sandpiper and had the FOY Black Terns fly over.  Port Lambton and the sewage lagoons (just behind Brander Park) are always good for lots of Black Terns.  I have had groups of up to 200+ birds there on occasion.  Of course that is where the White-winged Tern showed up in 1991 (and 1992!).
I took a walk at Stewart Wetland as well.  More Palm and Yellow-rumped Warblers!  A couple of Lesser Yellowlegs and a Wilson's Snipe were present.  There have been lots of snipe there this year.

Palm Warblers



Looking back on records, May 1 can be all over the map for seeing migrant birds.  I have been keeping notes ever since I started birding and it is interesting to compare dates each year with regard to bird sightings.  Obviously we started out with some early stuff this year, but generally things have been slow to show!
Green Heron still at Brander!

No comments:

Post a Comment