Thursday, December 1, 2011

Winter Birds

Red-throated Loon St. Clair River  

Today, December 1 started out on a cold, but sunny note.  From December 1 to the end of February is considered the winter birding season.  Some birdwatchers attempt to keep a list of all birds heard or seen during that period.
Last year, at least 198 species were recorded in Ontario.  A tally is kept at Blake Maybank's site (which I do not have the link at this time!), and Josh Vandermeulen will be keeping tabs on the Ontario birds.  I will also keep track of what is being seen as I write the Winter Report for North American Birds (NAB).  It is a good way to know what is going on in Ontario with regards to birds.
There are some good birds around right now, such as the ones at Niagara.  The Razorbill is still present, as well as some of the gulls and jaegers.  The White Pelican at Niagara-on-the-Lake was seen again, but perhaps it may have finally decided to leave!
Alan Wormington photographed a Black-legged Kittiwake in a field on Concession D at Point Pelee this morning!  A bit odd to find one in a field!
On the way to work this morning, I came across a group of about 60 Sandhill Cranes in a field west of Wallaceburg.  That is a decent number for this late, at least in these parts.  In recent years, it is not uncommon to find flocks of Sandhills around here late in the fall, but for those to be here in December is nice to see.                
White-winged Crossbills (in my yard winter 2009)

There was not much at Brander Park this morning.  Yesterday's Red Crossbill was certainly a novelty--something I did not expect to find there.  I have not even seen a White-winged Crossbill at that location!
The recent heavy rainfall has flooded many fields and will attract water birds to the temporary lakes, such as a kittiwake.
Some roads were still flooded today around Wallaceburg, as the river levels rose overnight.  The Snye appeared to have reversed its flow today as all the water inland tried to escape.  I have never seen it so muddy brown!  A couple of Pied-billed Grebes were taking refuge in the marina this afternoon.
With the mild fall, there should be some good lingering birds that are waiting to be found.

2 comments:

  1. Gorgeous photo of the Crossbills Blake! All I seem to find in my back yard is House Sparrows.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love to bird at this time of year (well all times of the year actually). But winter has a special charm for me. This year I won't be getting out as much, though, because we are moving in mid-December.

    ReplyDelete