Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Lunchtime Surprise

What a storm!  Yesterday we had record amounts of rain, and new bodies of water were visible today.  I was a bit late getting to work this morning due to flooded roads so I did not get my morning walk in.  I would have needed boots anyway.
The sun came out in the morning for a beautiful day and since Wednesday is my day to go out for lunch, I stopped at Brander Park, Port Lambton.  I went for a bit of a walk, not noting many birds.  A few Tundra Swans came off the lagoons and a couple of juncos and blue jays were in the park.


I walked over to the edge of the field where I had the Glossy Ibis last spring, then started walking back.  I heard a finch type call coming from somewhere.  I heard it several times and concluded that it was coming from a large Norway Spruce.  I could not see the bird, but that sure as heck sounded like a crossbill.  I was thinking Red Crossbill!  Certainly not a White-winged I concluded.  I have only heard Red Crossbill a couple of times at Rondeau in the past, but this was obvious.
I walked up to the tree and still could not see the bird, but pished as a last resort and the bird popped out briefly.  I did not even have binoculars, but there was a red bird.  Obviously a male.  As dumb as this may sound, I did not put on my binoculars for this walk, and only had the small lens in my camera as I was trying to look for scenery shots.
Goes to show that one should carry binoculars at all times, and that you never know what to find with regards to birds.  This is bird 202 for the location.

I took some back roads home just looking at all the flooded fields and overflowing ditches.  I often take back roads home in hopes of finding some kind of owl or other bird.
Looking towards  Port Lambton lagoons (the "ibis" spot!)

Gulls in one of the Flooded Fields

With all the reports of Snowy Owls lately, I check on key spots they have been in the past.  Also, a year ago I encountered a Short-eared Owl working a roadside.
Weather looks good this weekend-sunny but cold, so birding could be interesting.
Dusk at Chicken Island (NE Wallaceburg)

1 comment:

  1. Nice work Blake. The only red birds I've been seeing are Cardinals! :-P ... stay dry in the 'burg!

    ReplyDelete