Friday, December 2, 2011

Cranes to Owl

With a bit of daylight left after work today, I drove some back roads on the way home. One spot I checked was for Sandhill Cranes.  This time I counted 71 along Stewart Line west of Wallaceburg.  Some were quite close to the road, so I had a good look at them.
At this spot also were hundreds of Ring-billed Gulls.  I could not pick out anything different.  The gulls are having fun with all the water around!
On a hunch, I decided to check an area where quite often a Snowy Owl shows up during invasion years.  I did not see anything on my first pass, but I went over one sideroad and back a concession road to the south.  In the sunset, I could see a large bid atop at  hydro pole.  I knew it had to be a Snowy Owl, and sure enough as I got closer, it was true.  I stopped directly below and we had eye to eye contact.
Here is a link Becher Snowy Owl to a beautiful photo of this owl by Dwayne Murphy.
It is interesting how from year to year, birds show up at the same spot.  There are other spots like this around as well.
I never did see a Snowy last year, so this hunch paid off today.
Looks like an invasion year.  Numerous reports starting coming in about a week ago, and many now have been reported.  One was at Erieau last Sunday as reported by Jim Burk.  I suspect one or more are there at present.
I will be out looking tomorrow.....
Photo of one many years ago.....Once again I did not have my camera today--lesson not learned from two days ago yet!

1 comment:

  1. Good job getting the Snowy. I've only seen Snowy Owl twice, both observations along the same rural road in west St. Kitts. It's been over two years and I believe I'm due another one. Hopefully one will be spotted during the St. Catharines CBC.

    ReplyDelete