Saturday, December 3, 2011

A Snowy Day +

Actually temps were above seasonal AGAIN, and strong south winds AGAIN for the weekend.  Are these winds ever going to cease?
Nevertheless, I checked out Rondeau and area this morning.  I met up with Jim Burk on south point trail and it was rather quiet.  I hope things pick up for the CBC in two weeks, or it will be hopeless.
Things were better up at the campground as usual.  On the way there, I encountered a small flock including a Carolina Wren, some Chickadees and a Tufted Titmouse.

Right off, we found a group of winter birds including kinglets, chickadees, creepers, White-breasted Nuthatch., but there was little else.
Out of the park near the gas plant at New Scotland Line and McKinley Rd., a number of birds were in field including at least 12 Killdeer, American Pipits (~30) and Horned Larks.

I drove Sinclair and Stefina Lines and noted quite a few Red-tailed Hawks.  Also a couple Harrier and a Kestrel.  An Eastern Meadowlark was in the pasture on Stefina--usually they winter there anyway.
Down near Erieau, a Double-crested Cormorant was in the small pond on the west side of Erieau Rd.  I checked Erieau pier area and nothing of note there.  Water is very high and waves were rolling over the breakwall.





At the R/R track trail, there was at least one Marsh Wren, perhaps two.  Jim had two a week ago.




Also heard a Common Yellowthroat, which is not unusual for that location in early winter.
An immature White-crowned Sparrow was also hanging around there.  First one I have seen a quite a while.  They were incredibly scarce this fall!


Just by accident, I came across a Snowy Owl on Old Street Line between Erieau and Lagoon Roads.  I did not intend to take that route, and to boot, I drove by the "white" spot thinking it was garbage!  The female owl was hunkered down.  Jim thinks it is the same one as last week seen near the R/R.

I called fellow blogger Dwayne and he had just seen the Snowy Owl that I found yesterday up near Wallaceburg.  He was looking for one, so I had to check with him.

Nothing noteworthy at the lagoons, except quite a few Northern Shovelers.

On another hunch, I swung around near Grande Pointe on the way home and sure enough I found another Snowy Owl near Marsh Line.  This is another spot, that for some reason, Snowy Owls always hang out.  This one was too distant to photograph.


No doubt there are other Snowies around waiting to be found!

Addendum to today's post.  I went out late this afternoon and watched for Sandhill Cranes.  They started coming in about 4:15 and more were arriving when I left Stewart Line.  They go out to feed somewhere during the day, then return for the night to the same location.  I had 60 today.



2 comments:

  1. Blake, great posting, and nice photos. That just may be the prettiest Carolina Wren shot I've seen. Even with southern winds and seasonably warm temps... it really was a "Snowy" Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some excellent "winter" birds Blake. Those were the first Tufted Titmouse, White-crowned Sparrow, Common Yellowthroat, and Marsh Wrens that I have heard of for the winter list.

    ReplyDelete