Sunday, December 4, 2011

More Owls and Gulls

Ventured down to Point Pelee today as a strong SW wind drew me to the Tip.  I did not see much, but afterall it is December!  Lots of Red-breasted Mergansers still going by.  Other ducks included White-winged and Surf Scoters and a single Black Scoter.  Bufflehead, Common Goldeneye, Mallard and a single Long-tailed.  Also three male American Wigeon flew by about 10 a.m.

Montrealais in Pelee Passage

A shorebird caught my eye, but it was just a Sanderling.  Fairly late though!
The only loon I saw was a very distant Common.  About 6 Horned Grebes were around.
Richard Carr joined me after a while and he said that he had just seen a Snowy Owl out on Concession E.  Yesterday, he also saw the Black-legged Kittiwake on Concession D.
I checked a couple of trails in the park, only noting Purple Finch, Golden-crowned Kinglet and a Fox Sparrow among others.
Out of the park, I found lots of gulls and had no problem finding the Snowy Owl.



On D, there were hundreds of gulls (also E!).  I spent some time looking for the kittiwake, but then moved to Mersea Rd. 19 and found it right away.  It was in the water, but soon got up and flew around.  A good bird for December and in a field!
Blackbirds, including Rusty were out there.  Didn't look close enough for Brewer's though.



      Black-legged Kittiwake

Also stopped in at Sturgeon Creek Marina.  I eventually saw the Franklin's Gull.  Also there were lots of Canada Geese including 8 Cacklers and one "Blue" Snow Goose.



On the way home, I checked out the old Dover Township knowing that there had to be Snowy Owls.  In a reliable locale, I spotted 3.  This is near the corner of Marsh Line and Winter Line.  One on each corner!  This is a guaranteed spot for Snowy Owls in any given winter, especially invasion years.  I have seen owls here going back to the early 1990's.
With the Snowy Owl north of Wallaceburg, that makes at least six that I have seen since Friday!

Many Tundra Swans today!
south of Wallaceburg

No comments:

Post a Comment