Saturday, August 27, 2011

Usual Circuit





Stopped at Tilbury again first thing.  Fewer birds as the cell has almost dried up.  Only one Long-billed Dowitcher was present early morning.




At Point Pelee, a number of warblers (~10 species)  were at the Tip area including an immature Mourning.  The air was still and the lake was calm, so not much moving.



Butterflies along West Beach included another Horace's Duskywing and a Gray Hairstreak along the beach.




Pearl Crescents continue to be the most abundant butterfly.  Silver-spotted Skippers are still plentiful.


Only one American Lady today, but lots of Common Buckeye.  Tilbury Lagoons had lots of Buckeye today.

Lunch included the traditional Green Godess wrap from Cattail Cafe, then I checked Black Willow area for butterflies.  Nothing new.

I dropped in at Tilbury again on my way back just in case something else was different.  Fewer birds!  However just as I was about to leave, I noticed dowitchers on the little island in the big pond.  They were obscured from view earlier.  I headed back along the dike and counted seven.  They all appeared to be Long-billed.  Obviously they had to move to deeper water as the usual cell is almost dried up.
This is all the water that remains!

Early this morning I noted five Spotted Sandpipers on the driveway atop the dike.  I was hoping for Buff-breasted Sandpipers!  Strange that none have been reported yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment