Thursday, April 7, 2011

Spring Birds


As the temperature slowly warms up, more birds have been moving in.  The last couple of days I have seen some new spring migrants.
At Port Lambton's Brander Park, Hermit Thrush, Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, Fox Sparrow and Winter Wren have made their presence known.




A couple of Brown Creepers were doing their thing.



Several Green-winged Teal are making use of the large puddle at the edge of the field.  I always check for Eurasian Green-winged Teal!  The ducks are very skittish so they are difficult to approach.
Lots of Hooded Mergansers have been around this week.  Wood ducks too.


A Tufted Titmouse is hanging around the woodlot as well.
I still have not seen any kind of swallow.  I was checking birds flying over the Port Lambton lagoons, but did not detect one.
Terns, particulary Forster's should be showing up soon.  Usually by April 10 we have them at Port Lambton.

Oh, almost forgot while travelling towards Port Lambton, I saw the first Osprey.  Carrying a goldfish!  It must have got it out of Stewart Wetland.  As usual, certain humans have been dumping exotic fish etc.  Last year I happened to see a Great Egret get a goldfish, then some time later, a Double-crested Cormorant came up with one as well.
Must mention last summer I saw a Red-eared Slider turtle in the pond at Brander Park!

No comments:

Post a Comment