Saturday, March 12, 2011

Birding Along Lake Erie


White-breasted Nuthatch

I spent the better part of the day from Rondeau to Point Pelee today.  I had no idea what the weather would be like, as the forecasts have been so far off all winter.  Actually the day was not too bad and the sun even came out for a while.
Lots of birds were along the roadside just outside Rondeau Park--Robins, various sparrows, blackbirds, etc., but inside the park there was not much.  The female Eastern Towhee was still at the VC feeders.

Towhee at Rondeau Park



On Mull Road, I saw a flock of Snow Buntings.  I had not seen any for quite some time.  The Rough-legged Hawk was on Stefina Line, but still no Snipe!

I decided to bypass Erieau (hope that was a good move!) and head to Point Pelee. Blackbirds were heading west all along Talbot Trail.  Tundra Swans here and there.
While in Point Pelee, I saw a few birds near the Tip including a male Towhee and some wintering White-throated Sparrows.  I decided to check a bit of West Beach Trail, but only came up with a Song and a Swamp Sparrow near the serenghetti tree.


Wintering Silver-haired Bat at Tip Washrooms

I came across a large flock of Chickadees along the road beside Sparrow Field area, plus a Brown Creeper.
A large number of Robins were along Shuster Trail taking advantage of the Sumac.


Outside the park, Concession Road D was excellent for hundreds of waterfowl.  Even lots of diving ducks-Canvasback, Redhead and Ring-necked.  Many Ring-billed Gulls.  It is a good time for Mew Gull!  Lots of Canada Geese were all over the place in many fields.

North of Wheatley, I saw my first TV of the year.

flooded fields along Conc. D

No comments:

Post a Comment