Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Some More Algonquin Scenes

Gray Jay


When I am out and about I look at more than birds and butterflies.  I saw several species of dragonflies and I tried to identify them.  Some I took photos, and hopefully they are labelled correctly.
Band-winged Meadowhawk


Shadow Darner


Swamp Darner

I only saw one Moose (in the distance) near Lake of Two Rivers.  In the past I have had close encounters with them especially on the R/R section of Mizzy Lake Trail.



While on the old airfield, a bird of a metal kind flew over Lake of Two Rivers....
Gashawk

There are many spots to stop and learn the history of Algonquin Park, especially associated with the railway.
At the Cache Lake boat ramp, there is an interpretive display where the Algonquin Park Station and hotel used to stand.  It was also the site of the park headquarters.  A concrete wall and some steps remain as well as a concrete curb that parallelled the railway.
Hotel Algonquin steps




Another spot I stopped at on the way out on Friday was Tea Lake Dam.  There is a picnic area here around the dam site.  No birds to speak of though.  This spot reminded me of an old movie called "Indian Summer" (1993) that was filmed in Algonquin starring Alan Arkin as a camp counselor.  There is a scene at Tea Lake Dam, but the movie takes place at one of the camps on Cache Lake I believe.



Gray Jay from 2006 trip....


1 comment: