Monday, September 27, 2010

Last Week's Trip

View from Bat Lake Trail

I finally have a little time to write about my trip last week, mainly to Algonquin Park.  The park has always been one of my favourite destinations that is not too far away.  I like it in the fall as it is a little quieter and you do not have to worry about insects.  The colours are nice to observe, but every year is different.  One of the park's publications had a graph showing peak tree colours and it can range very widely from year to year.  Birds are fewer, but it can be more interesting looking for birds pushing their late dates or other uncommon birds that migrate through.
One of my first fall trips up there was late September 2001 and I birded with Burke Korol.  We had some good birds including a record-early Bohemian Waxwing at the old airfield.  It was early by almost two months!

Tree growing on rock (Bat Lake Trail-I take this photo every time I am there!)

This year, the colours were just before their peak, and a good number of birds were to be found.  I came across some good pockets of warblers in various locations, especially on Mizzy Lake Trail.  The trail is one of my favourites as it goes through a variety of habitats in its 11 km trek.  Included is the section that follows the old railway line where you can see a good variety of birds.  It crosses a couple of lakes so it is quite open.  It is a good vantage point to see things flying over or through.  I saw quite a vew Pipits here among other things. 

Black-backed Woodpecker (too distant!)

It is also a good spot to get the resident Black-backed Woodpeckers and Gray Jays.  The jays are used to people feeding them.  I only had one come in, but it did not stay for a good photo.

Gray Jay liftoff!

The railway section is a popular spot for birders and there is a short cut to get there by going up Arrowhon Road by car to where the old railway bed crosses.  You drive a short distance to your right and park at a gate. 

see my car?

This was my second stop (off Arrowhon Rd.) upon arriving in the park.  Since it was still raining a bit, I thought it was the best spot to walk at the time.


Boreal Chickadees are common along there.  I had them in several spots throughout my travels though.  As I mentioned, they are unco-operative when it comes to photographing.  They do not respond to pishing--in fact they may go the other way!

Another good spot to check is the Sanitary Station.  It is hit and miss there, but my first stop revealed lots of birds including at least 3 Boreal Chickadees.  A few years ago, the park's only record of Spotted Towhee was recorded here!  There is a portage trail that runs back from there as well.

Spruce Bog Trail is good for boreal species as well, especially Spruce Grouse.  I cannot seem to find this species anymore!  I have seen them there in the past and at other locations, but ....  I did not see much here this time, and the poor weather did not help either.


Chain-dotted Geometer (moth) on Spruce Bog Boardwalk Trail

There are many other trails to check out, but some are not prime areas if you want to find birds. 
I like the old airfield, so that is why I camp at Mew Lake.  There are several old tracks around the field to follow.  It was a bit quiet this time around, but it was enjoyable just to walk around the area.  It is one of the best spots to find butterflies.  I only had American Copper and Clouded Sulphur this time.



Some Rusty Blackbirds were hanging around. 



Clouded Sulphur

I did come across one Black-backed Woodpecker here.  The only sparrows I found in the grasses were Song and Savannah.  Lots of White-crowned were around, and in fact they seemed to outnumber White-throated.


Ducks along the way included Black (most common), Hooded Merganser, Common Merganser.

Black Duck

On Thursday morning I walked down the bike trail (old railway) to the north end of Whitefish Lake.  I had a good number of warblers here and there, including a few Orange-crowned.  I added a few species to the trip list including Eastern Phoebe, Belted Kingfisher, Ruffed Grouse and Black and White Warbler.


One night I did hear Barred Owl in the distance while I was in the tent--the only owl of the trip.

On my way out Friday morning I stopped at various picnic areas or parking lots, including Western Upland Backpacking Trail parking lot.  It is sometimes good for birds.  I had another Boreal Chickadee, a Merlin making some racket and a couple more Orange-crowned Warblers.  I also heard a Pileated Woodpecker in the distance. 
West of Algonquin, there is a small park called Ragged Falls Provincial Park.  The only interesting thing here was the scenery!


Ragged Falls

Saturday and Sunday was the OFO conference.  I spent Saturday driving around to various spots along Lake Erie from Rock Point P.P. to Long Point P. P.

Backus Mill near Port Rowan

Sunday was birding from Port Burwell to Hawk Cliff to Port Stanley Lagoons.




View from Hawk Cliff (TV specks!)

Mystery Birder at Port Burwell

 
I did not take a lot of photos, as quite often it was too gloomy.  What else is new??

Note: quality of photos seems to degrade when they are uploaded to the blog!

1 comment:

  1. I have no idea who that person is in the photo..lol
    Aaron and I are going on a 6 day canoe trip in north Algonquin in 2 weeks up at Kiosk. Should be chilly! Fall colours, like many other things, are early this year, so I think we are going to miss the peak. I STILL need Spruce Grouse. Whenever I go to Algonquin I try at Spruce Bog, and Opeongo Road and I come out with nothing!

    ReplyDelete