Sunday, May 2, 2010

Good Birds but No Camera

I headed down to Point Pelee today for something different.  I left the camera at home (big mistake!) since it called for rain all day.  It did rain in the morning for a while, but the sun came out for a couple of times and it did not rain anymore.  Temperature was far warmer than anticipated.  Case in point, the weather forecast was wrong again!  So, no new photos.

It was nice to meet many friends today.

Started at the Tip.  One Willet was at the Tip with some gulls.  Not many birds, but I did see a few warblers.
I walked back the road, then headed into Woodland Trail, then Tilden's Woods.  A Red-eyed Vireo was new for the year, as well as a White-eyed Vireo there.  Just before finishing Woodland, I spotted a Yellow-billed Cuckoo.  For the most part, cuckoos do not show up until the third week of May or so, but there is always the odd very early one.  A male Hooded Warbler was a nice find in Tilden's.
 
I had heard that a Worm-eating Warbler was at Dunes, so I headed up there and immediately saw it.  It was a very co-operative bird and was singing quite a bit. By this time the sun was out, but no camera. I have seen many of this species, and even have it on my yard list here in Wallaceburg, so no big deal.  (I did get a poor photo of my yard bird, but it was moving around the yard very quickly so I could not focus on it.  A very decent bird for Wallaceburg!)

 
Worm-eating Warbler in Wallaceburg May 9, 1999

I left there too early, as the others spotted a Prairie Warbler (male) just as I was leaving.  I went back about an hour later, and found it.  Even heard it sing once.  They used to nest at Pinery P. P. where I have seen them before.  Usually there are one or two at Rondeau in migration as well.

I checked out De Laurier area, but did not see much.  A Dark-eyed Junco was at the house all by itself.
Not done yet.  I walked through the centre down to the tram loop at the Tip area, then back up West Beach Trail.  I was more interested in butterflies.  There were several Red Admirals (all over the park!), several American Lady, Question Marks, etc.  Later, I did see my first Spicebush Swallowtail of the year.

About 200m south of the West beach parking lot, the find of the day popped up.  It was a Henslow's Sparrow!  It perched on a branch for more than five minutes, which was unusual, giving a stellar view.  This is where the big mistake comes in.  NO CAMERA!   Oh well.
This is the third time since 2007 that I have found a Henslow's Sparrow at Point Pelee.  It seems to be the only reliable spot to find this species.  I have seen them years ago at Rondeau, but not one has been found in recent years.
I alerted others when I got back to the V. C. and we went down to look for it.  It was not refound to my knowedge, but they can be very secretive, crawling around like a mouse in the undergrowth.

New birds for the year included, Willet, Ruby-throated Hummingbird (west beach trail), White-eyed Vireo, Red-eyed Vireo, Cliff Swallow (long time coming!), Yellow-billed Cuckoo, Prairie Warbler, Worm-eating Warbler, Canada Warbler, Henslow's Sparrow.

Almost forgot to mention I saw a large Fox Snake at De Laurier.

2 comments:

  1. Blake, great posting even without photos. I have never seen a Henslow's Sparrow, but I have seen some really nice photos of them. Nice butterfly shots.
    Dwayne

    ReplyDelete
  2. I missed you today Blake! Didn't see the Henslow's Sparrow either. Didn't have my camera as well...Wish I did when I had the Worm-eating Warbler at Dunes. I'm sure I will run into you soon ;-)

    ReplyDelete