Monday, April 8, 2024

Birds in Eclipse Plumage (Day of the Total Solar Eclipse)

 Sorry, I had to think of a catchy title!

Today, I spent time birding in the Blenheim/Erieau area.  The park was booked to capacity with eclipse enthusiasts, so I could not get in there.  I would not want to be there anyway!

I started at first light checking out Keith McLean C. L.  We had rain overnight and the drizzle was just finishing when I arrived.  There was nothing really of note.

I then went over to Erieau and checked out the marsh (rail) trail.  The only thing of note were large numbers of Lapland Longspurs over the field.  We often get large numbers this time of year, and they often go un-noticed.

While in the area and with time to kill, I went over to McGeachy Pond, just a stone's throw away.  But this time, the sun had come out for a stellar day, much to the delight of eclipse watchers.

I walked the length of the trail, and on the way back I noticed quite a few birds on the move.  I ended up staying in one spot for about two hours!  There was just enough to keep up one's interest.  Steve Charbonneau soon joined me for the watch.

Lots of Lapland Longspurs were seen moving.  Difficult to say how many, but well over 200.  Some may have been circling the fields.

A number of first-of-year birds were tallied, including Caspian and Forster's Terns, Purple Martin, and Northern Rough-winged Swallow.



The vantage point had a good view to the north, plus the lake behind us.  A Marsh Wren was singing in front of us for most of the time.  Quite possibly a wintering bird there.  There was not much moving on the lake though.

After 2h 50m, I left.  But, just as I was leaving the parking lot, a Bank Swallow flew over.  Another FOY!

Here is a link to my list:

https://ebird.org/checklist/S167727102

There was time to kill before the eclipse, so I went to Sinclair's Bush.  Not many birds, but the location is known for plant life.


Then it was on to the Blenheim Lagoons.  I was at the lagoons yesterday, and there was the same mix of birds.  However, a large flock of Dunlin was flying east to the north.  About 60+ birds.  Another FOY sighting.

Although the lagoons would have been a good spot to view the eclipse (and there were a few people there doing so), I had the invitation to sit at the lakeside in Erie Beach.

I arrived in good time just as the moon was eating away at the sun.  Eventually it got darker and total eclipse happened!  Although I did not have the equipment to photograph the sun at totality, here are some cell phone photos.  It was one of the coolest events I ever witnessed!








Venus is visible to the lower right





It was interesting to see it get dark.  The breeze off the lake went down to nothing, and it became a little cooler.  A nearby American Robin acted as if it was dusk.

The hoardes of people along the lakeshore was mind-blowing.  Everyone in Erieau Beach was out in the their backyards to view the spectacle.  But, it was once in a lifetime event.  The last totality in our area was in 1924.  The next is scheduled for 2144!

In previous days, I walked out Rondeau's marsh trail for good exercise on Sunday.  Nothing of note birdwise.  The Eurasian Wigeon was still out on the Bay.  One of its American counterparts was close enough to photograph.



Saturday, it was another walk at Reid CA.  With the recent cool weather, plant life had still not changed much.  Mayapple is starting to pop up.


Other plants are peaking through. I think these leaves belong to Purple Cress.


I watched for Harbinger of Spring.  I carefully found a couple more colonies, bringing the total to nine.  Probably more around that I missed.  My photos did not turn out.  I hate cell phone photography!

Red Admirals came out that day,  I saw two in the yard.


I think the warmer weather is now here.


No comments:

Post a Comment