Thursday, April 11, 2024

A Few Early Spring Sightings

 I stopped by the south shore trail at Mitchell's Bay a couple of days ago.  I was hoping to see some early spring migrants, but it was rather quiet.  This trail can be quite productive for a variety of birds at times.  Even rarities, such as the Sage Thrasher I found in November 2021!

If one is not quick enough with the camera, this is what can happen:

American Kestrel with Tree Swallow

Most of the diving ducks have left the Bay, but Ruddy Ducks were in full force.  From what I could see, there were well over 3000.






After I finished here, it was warm enough to head up to Reid CA for a long walk.  Some of the wildflowers are starting to come out.  Of the millions of Trout Lily plants, I only found one in bloom!


There is a significant population the White Trout Lily here, but they were far from blooming.

Virginia Spring Beauty was out all over, and some insects were taking advantage.  I took this photo, and the bee comes up as a Spring Beauty Miner.



Another insect was possibly a Taurus Mason Bee, which is non-native.


Purple Cress is in full bloom in the wetter areas.


Most of the Dutchman Breeches were not out in bloom, but I did find a couple.




Squirrel Corn, a very similar plant is supposed to be here, but I have yet to find any.

There were several Greater Bee Flies roaming around.


The expected butterflies included Eastern Comma, Mourning Cloak and Red Admiral.




In the woods along the back field, I came across some old farm equipment left here decades ago.



Various frogs were singing this day, including Green.




On Wednesday, it promised to be very warm, so I headed down to Rondeau.  Not as many birds as I had hoped, but it was a good day.  I did quite a bit of walking, totaling more than 15 km.

The longest (and last) walk was well out marsh trail.  It was quite evident that there was an influx of butterflies, especially Red Admiral and American Painted-Lady.



Reports from all over southwestern Ontario revealed there was a bit of an invasion of these creatures.  The last huge invasion was 2012.  That was a banner year for insects and there has not been such an event since.  Time will tell what this year brings.

Common Green Darners were out in numbers as well.  (Although some show a lot of blue!).




Along the trail I kept seeing some flower flies.  Turns out most of these were Black-shouldered Drone Fly.



Some first-of-year birds included American Bittern, Ruby-crowned Kinglet and Sora while out the marsh trail.

First thing in the morning I walked south point trail.  It was quite active, but nothing out of the ordinary for birds.

The "new" washout area is holding its own.  There is enough beach barrier to keep things dry....for now.





No comments:

Post a Comment