Monday, July 4, 2022

Skunk's Misery Butterfly Count July 3

 Yesterday, a number of us diehards participated in the Skunk's Misery butterfly count.  As expected, butterflies were rather sparse but we beat the bushes in any case!

I did my usual route starting on the west end of Centreville Drive.  It was a bit overcast to start, not helping matters, but eventually the sun came out and things picked up.

I ended up with 29 species by the end of the day (I also check out the NW part of the circle in the afternoon).  My highlight was a surprise, when I found a Dion Skipper in a sedge patch along Centreville.  It was a new one for me on the count!



Eastern Commas were by far the most common species on my route.


I eventually found a Grey Comma later in the afternoon, which was the only one for the count.

Hairstreaks were quite scarce compared to last year.

Striped Hairstreak

I found three Compton Tortoiseshells in the afternoon. A nice-looking butterfly!



I looked at other things, of course!

At the county line along Watterworth, there were very little wet areas left, but a single Great Blue Skimmer was patrolling one spot.



One of my good spots in the past (but not this year!) was at the boat launch near Aughrim.  I  looked more at odes than anything.

There were quite a few Stream Bluets here, as well as Blue-fronted Dancers.  Some Blue-tipped Dancers were visible too.

Blue-tipped Dancer

Before heading to the BBQ and roundup, I checked my favourite trail off Sassafras Road.  I know that was not checked, at least well in from the road.  There is a little creek here I like to check for odonates.  I found a few Great Blue Skimmers.  Although rather plain-looking, they are an impressive dragonfly.



We met at the end of the day at the Prieksaitis place south of Rodney as usual, but this was the first time in three years for obvious reasons.  It was nice to be back to normal and meet with like-minded naturalists!

Before we had dinner, Silver the cat found us a Spicebush Swallowtail caterpillar!



The count ended up at 49 species, which was not too shabby.  Numbers were low in each though.

Next butterfly count is Rondeau, this coming Sunday.  The last few years have been mediocre, so one can only hope something of interest shows, and the weather co-operates.

I found lots of Michigan Lilly yesterday


No comments:

Post a Comment