Saturday, July 2, 2022

Canada Day Weekend Wanderings

 Time is passing by quickly, but I am making best use of my time.  I stopped by Reid CA late Wednesday and found six Oak Hairstreaks in short order.  A seventh was an eyeopener!  

Sometimes we get aberrant butterflies, and this Oak Hairstreak took the cake.



Some others:






I am finding very few Banded Hairstreaks this year so far.

Friday I headed down to Keith McLean C. L. first thing to see what shorebirds were in the fall swing.

Some Least, a White-rumped, a couple of Lesser Yellowlegs and two Short-billed Dowitchers were in.

SBD's


I moved on east to Clear Creek where I checked out the old quarry.  The usual insects were found.

Calico Pennant

Variable Dancer

Hickory Hairstreak

Skimming Bluet

Delaware Skipper

Azure Bluet

Further east, I did go to John E. Pearce PP (Storey Wetland), but it was overcast at the time.  As well, the drought had things bone dry, which was not good for dragonflies.

I headed back west, and stopped in at Wardsville Woods.  I did a thorough search and found no clubtails!  The dry weather is not helping, but time is passing quickly and some insects are nearing the end of their life cycle.  Sometimes it is feast or famine, but earlier in the day seems better.

A Slaty Skimmer was nice to see at the pond.



I found a few Double-striped Bluets at the pond as well.


A couple were making more!




Today I went up to Joany's Woods in Middlesex.  I was going to go there yesterday, but it was cloudy to the north.  Turned out to be a nice day for my visit!

On my way up, I found a family of Common Ravens SW of Oil Springs.  This species is more regular in Lambton anymore, and not considered rare.  There were five birds altogether.



I walked the trail along the river, although you cannot get too close or see it well.  Several odes were found including a couple of Swift River Cruisers patrolling the Ausable, and a couple of Midland Clubtails.  Only saw one American Rubyspot.

I found this Black-shouldered Spinyleg along the trail.



Several species of bluets and dancers were along the trail.

Blue-fronted Dancer

Variable Dancer



Stream Bluet

Nothing special in birds at Joanys.

Not far south, I stopped by Fossil Road which is a good ode spot.  There were hundreds of dancers/bluets of various species, but I did find two rare species.  One was Dusky Dancer. A bit distant, so highly cropped.


There were several Blue-ringed Dancers here as well.


Very few big odes; just a couple of Midland Clubtails and Swift River Cruisers.


I stopped by Reid CA before getting home.  It was very quiet.  Dukes' Skippers are not showing yet, but should be any time.  I saw zero Oak Hairstreaks, and only four Banded.  The Oak hairstreaks are just about done for another year!

Tomorrow is the Skunk's Misery butterfly count, so we will see what transpires there.

Grey Comma



No comments:

Post a Comment