Thursday, April 8, 2021

Recent Spring Outings

 The weather has been nice lately, but now that the weekend is approaching it is deteriorating (lol).  I have been out here and there but seem to pick the wrong days to go to places.  Last Saturday I went to Point Pelee and saw nothing of note, but of course the next day some decent birds showed up.

I also stopped at Hillman shorebird cell.  Lots of ducks to sort through!  A late Tundra Swan was lingering around the cell.



Sunday (the day I should have went to Pelee), I decided to stay local and catch up on some records for the Breeding Bird Atlas.  I took a long walk through Reid CA and another at McKeough CA.  Things were still a bit quiet, but it was a good chance to put in some records.


Tuesday I took a wrong turn and ended up at Rondeau instead of work.  I did much walking but did not come up with anything of note....again!

On Wednesday, the weather was too nice after supper so I headed up to Reid CA for a walk.  Trout Lilly is the most abundant forest floor plant and some were even coming into bloom.



There was not much else up yet though.  Invasive species such as Creeping Jenny was visible.


For butterflies, I saw Eastern Comma, Mourning Cloak and a couple of Compton Tortoiseshells.  The Compton was new for me there, which brings my total butterfly list at Reid to 55 species!  The one co-operated quite nicely.  Certainly a holdover from the invasion last year where they were found everywhere.




Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers seem to be numerous in migration at Reid.  Here is one I encountered.



I walked through the "Lilly Bush" at the NW part of the property.  It has some nice scenery along the Sydenham.  This photo is at the corner of the bush on the east side.



To the right, is where the old oxbow went through.  We cross this oxbow on the main trail in the low spot on the property.  At one point in history, the river decided to change course!

Yellow-rumped Warblers are finally trickling through and I have seen them in various locations.  The five at Peers Wetland stayed a week!  No other warblers in these parts yet.

Jeepers Creepers!


No comments:

Post a Comment