Friday, April 2, 2021

Hopping Around Here and There

 Lack of subject matter equals lack of blog posts!  Been rather slow lately for birds and I certainly cannot find anything of note.  This Easter Weekend is rather cold and I am sure the Purple Martin that showed up at Wallaceburg today was not happy.

Last weekend I went to Rondeau on Friday and Sunday, and Point Pelee on Saturday.  Rondeau was visited again today.  Lots of sparrows were in last weekend but many fewer today.



There was not much creeping around the campground each visit.



A few Eastern Phoebes were in.



Point Pelee was fairly active on Saturday, but no rarities.  I started at the Tip which was not too active.

Barge Ashtabula in Pelee Passage


A female Purple Finch was at Sparrow Field which was interesting since it was the first one for me this year.  Last year it took until August to find one!  It did not co-operate for a photo though.

This Hermit Thrush did though.

Hermit Thrush at the serengeti tree area


I stopped by Hillman Marsh shorebird cell on the way home.  Lots of Blue-winged Teal were in, as they were everywhere last weekend. No shorebirds.



This week I checked Peers Wetland a few times.  On Tuesday, I found five Yellow-rumped Warblers--early spring migrants!  Virtually none have been found elsewhere, so I thought that was interesting.  Earliest I have seen them as spring migrants in this locale.  They were still present today.

Today I went to Rondeau and did much walking.  Nothing new!  Not even a warbler yet (that is why I stopped at Peers on the way home to get a warbler fix, lol).

It was rather quiet to say the least and I saw only one Eastern Phoebe.



Song Sparrows even thinned out from last week.



A couple of Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers were in.



A Pileated Woodpecker on south point was working a tree--always nice to observe.



I stopped by Keith McLean C. L. on the way out.  I could not even find any new shorebirds for the year.  A Wilson's Snipe was the only shorebird besides a few Killdeer.

I will be creeping around again tomorrow to see what is around (or not)!



No comments:

Post a Comment