Saturday, July 18, 2020

Some Shorebirds, More Insects, Moore Mussels

I have been wandering around recently fairly close to home looking for anything of interest.
The Dukes' Skippers are doing well at Reid CA.




Today I found quite a few, but they were not too co-operative for photos!

Friday I decided to head up to Strathroy.  The lagoons are easily accessible and one cell has some excellent mud for shorebirds.  ( A Ruff was there just over a week ago!).  As I left home, there was patchy fog, but it got worse as I headed towards Strathroy!  By the time I arrived, it was too foggy to see the mudflat by scope, so I walked around the one cell.

Solitary Sandpiper in Fog




By the time I finished, it had cleared enough to bring out the scope.  There was not a lot of variety, but Least Sandpipers numbered over 50, with a couple Semipalmated Sandpipers, a Semipalmated Plover and several Lesser Yellowlegs.



Solitary Sandpipers numbered four or five.




After finishing there, I headed over to Clark Wright CA, not too far away.  This is a neat little spot I visit at least once a year.  I find it good for butterflies when conditions are right.  I had American Coppers here several years ago, but the trail has been re-routed away from where they were.

A decent find popped up in the form of a Mulberry Wing.  This elusive sedge skipper was one I thought I would not find this year, so that made the day.



After this walk, I decided to head back south west and ended up at Wardsville Woods.  This is a favourite spot to walk and a good place to look for butterflies.  Some odes are here too!







Not done yet, I kept going and ended up at Clear Creek.  I wanted to walk the old quarry area as it is excellent for odes and butterflies.  Goal was to see a Comet Darner, which I discovered here a couple of years ago.
They will patrol over the pond, so I kept looking.  Soon, I spotted one!  Very distinctive red abdomen!




They are considered rare vagrant to Ontario, but some are established in known locations.

Calico Pennants are very common here.



I spent quite a bit of time in the area.  There is another pond up the slope to the north.



After some time, I spotted a couple of Broad-winged Skippers around some phragmites.  This species apparently uses phragmites as a food plant.



Later, I caught sight of an American Snout.  It was not too co-operative, lol.




Today, I headed to north Lambton for lack of anything else to do.  I checked out Forest lagoons--always an excellent place for fall shorebird migration.  There was not much there today, but quite a few Lesser Yellowlegs.

Shoveler Silhouette


Moving on, I thought Ipperwash Forested Dunes and Swales would be a nice walk in early morning.  There were not too many birds, but many mosquitoes!
I spotted a Green Heron sitting on a nest at one point.



I was looking for insects as well.  A Shadow Darner posed briefly.



Not sure what this other darner is.



It was getting too hot and humid by the time I finished, but just before I left, I spotted a Coral Hairstreak.  It was a first for this year, one that I thought I would miss for the first time.



Closer to home, I stopped by Moore WMA, McKeough and Reid for some brief looks.  I wanted to get a photo of a Royal River Cruiser, but that never happened even though I saw them at each location!

There were quite a few mussels at Moore today.  This one caught my eye as it was one I had not seen before.  I thought it may be a Fawnsfoot, which is quite rare, but that was my guess.  Certainly looked different with the greenish colour and pattern.  Likely a Deertoe which is "vulnerable" in Ontario.
Deertoes seem to be rather numerous at Moore.



Other Moore mussels:

Mapleleaf

Deetoe


At McKeough I did see one Flag-tailed Spinyleg.


Eastern Amberwing (f)


At Reid, several Dukes' Skippers were flying, as mentioned above.




I did not find any hairstreaks at all.  There will be some kicking around, but we are mostly done with them in this area for yet another year.

Banded from a few days ago


It is a horrible year for the invasion of Gypsy Moths.  They are everywhere, and in many areas the oaks are leaf-less.  I found this Eastern Pondhawk having lunch at Reid.  It appears to have a Gypsy Moth!





No comments:

Post a Comment