Sunday, July 12, 2020

More Insects and Rondeau Butterfly Count

Saturday I did quite a bit of running around, but had little luck in finding things!  Just one of those days.
I stopped by the old Clear Creek quarry which is good for dragonflies.  Although it was late morning, I saw little!  Here the Comet Darner flies, but I find it is better in the afternoon to see these.  Still some time to see this rare Ontario dragonfly.

A couple of Calico Pennants had just emerged.


Some damselflies had just emerged as well.  No colour to these!


This one had some colour, but not sure of species.



Before going home, I went up to Reid CA anticipating that Dukes' Skippers would be flying.  I managed to see two some distance apart.




I heard that one was seen in another known location in south Lambton County today.

Hairstreaks are quickly waning. The ones I saw this day were worn.



Today was the Rondeau butterfly count.  The weather started out nice, but got quite hazy and somewhat overcast later on, which did not help.  I did my usual area of south point trail, and had my worst showing.  I only managed 14 species, when I usually get over twenty!  No doubt the recent hot and dry weather had bearing on the results.
I have done this count since 1999 (with the exception of two years) and we have had some good years, but the last few have been less than par.
Weather has everything to do with it and timing of broods.

The trail on the east side was just as flooded as it was in May.  Usually by this time it is dry enough to walk with shoes, so that tells you something.

I found Appalachian Brown in good numbers--the most I have tallied at 57.


Quite a few Northern Pearly-eye were along Harrison Trail as usual.



Monarch was in decent numbers at 43.



The "ladies" have been absent of late, and the brushfoots (Comma and Question Mark) must be in between broods.  I only had two Eastern Commas.



The only Question Mark I saw was quite questionable!


Practically no skippers.  A couple of Delaware and a few Northern Broken-Dash were in my area.


I found only one hairstreak this year--a sad looking Banded.



I had no swallowtails at all!  In between broods obviously.  Recently the Eastern Tiger Swallowtail has been under consideration by authorities that there is another species involved.  So, your tiger swallowtail will go under tiger swallowtail species.  I had a nice one in the yard yesterday, but as far as I am concerned it is still Eastern!



My hotspot of the old Dillon Dump was a bust.  The milkweed was past its prime and there was hardly any butterfly activity. 
The only interesting thing there was coyotes!  Two were resting in the weeds and I almost stepped on one since it was well hidden!  A bit later, they started howling, and two other joined in the howl.  Quite the experience!

Dragonflies were in good numbers today, but most were Blue Dasher, numbering many hundreds.

Blue Dasher (f)


Some others were seen as well.

Twelve-spotted Skimmer (f)
White-faced Meadowhawk

Tule Bluet


AS for birds, I always keep track, but nothing earth-shattering today.  The White-winged Dove was still holding on.  A Pine Warbler, uncommon breeder in Rondeau, was near the south end of  Harrison.

Here at home, the garden is coming along nicely, attracting various insects. 



Today, I spotted a Slaty Skimmer!  It was new for the yard, and it is not too common around here.


Next butterfly count is Clear Creek on July 26.

No comments:

Post a Comment