Sunday, May 26, 2019

North Lambton Tour and Rondeau Rarities

I did some touring around this weekend.  Friday I went up to north Lambton County to check out Pinery, Port Franks and Ipperwash.  I was hoping to see some butterflies such as Olympia Marble and some elfins.
I first checked out the Heritage Forest at Port Franks for some birds.  It started out nice and sunny, but by the time I was done there, typical weekend weather rolled in.  It killed my chances for seeing many butterflies later!
I had a good variety of birds in the forest, including standard birds such as Acadian Flycatcher (4) and Hooded Warbler (4).  In the forest, I had no luck in taking photos, as usual.

Acadian Flycatcher


Several species of warblers including Mourning and Blue-winged.  No Cerulean this time though, although they do nest there.

I then moved into Pinery Provincial Park.  It was somewhat on the quiet side, but I did see a variety of birds. No doubt the crappy weather was a factor.

It looks like Prairie Warbler is there once again for the season.  I found one singing along the first dune ridge at P9.  They are always found in the first dune ridge somewhere along the Pinery beach.

At one point I saw a Common Raven fly over.  Seems they are quite regular in north Lambton anymore.

I checked for Dusted Skipper, but the cool overcast weather kept them at bay.

I then moved to Karner Blue Sanctuary where duskywings can be found in numbers.  Usually you can get four species this time of year.  I only saw two Sleepy Duskywings.




At one point I thought I had something unique, but it was just an azure.  However, it was the "marginata" form which is heavily marked and brighter blue on the upper side.  Actually a very attractive insect!




I briefly checked Ipperwash Forested Dunes and Swales, but it was deathly quiet.  From other's eBird lists there, it has been rather quiet  compared to what it should be.

Just before getting home, I stopped by Peers Wetland and found a good variety of warblers including Canada, Mourning and Wilson's among others.



As well, I spotted a Common Nighthawk sleeping in typical fashion.



Saturday I went down to Rondeau Park and sloshed through the water on south point trail.  I just did this trail since I wanted to get over to Erieau and try for the Neotropic Cormorant.

Several Northern Waterthrushes were still around, and lots of Tennessee and Blackpoll Warblers.

Warbling Vireo


A good number of shorebirds were along the east beach, including lots of Ruddy Turnstones.





Over near Erieau, I tried for the recent Laughing and Franklin's Gulls.  They were just too far out and heat haze was a factor.
The Neoptropic Cormorant was perched in a willow at the Erieau pier with its ugly cousins.  It was a new Rondeau bird for me, so nice to check off.  Now that I have seen it, and most others have, it can leave!  lol.  I did not even attempt a photo due to lighting issues.

I did a quick check of the gulls again with no luck so eventually ended up at Hillman Marsh.  Nothing special there, but one has to take the chance!

I had heard that the gulls were being seen again near Erieau, so went back.  I tried in vain, but the heat haze was even worse.  There are practically no places to pull off in the that area since roads are poorly designed.  As well, traffic was ridiculous with people in a hurry to go nowhere.
I gave up in disgust!

Today I went back to Rondeau under cooler conditions.  South point trail was not bad, but the interior of the park was very quiet for migrants.  More Alder Flycatchers were in, as well as Red-eyed Vireos.
Various warblers included a few Mourning.
World's worst photo:



The shorebirds were still along the east beach, but no rarities.



I came across a couple of Olive-sided Flycatcher.  One was silent but the other revealed itself by calling.


A few thrushes were still lurking in the woods.  Gray-cheeked seemed to outnumber Swainson's today.



With overcast conditions, I checked for the gulls again near Erieau.  I managed to find a spot to set up a scope along Erieau Road.  I was just in time, as I quickly picked out an adult Franklin's Gull. I just got on the second cycle Laughing Gull when everything took off to the lake.  I was there less than ten minutes, so I lucked out!

Middle gull is a Franklin's

I find mid June good for gulls, especially at Point Pelee, so who knows what else there will be to see this spring.  Last year I found a Black-headed Gull at Point Pelee!

Blenheim lagoons had about 70 Semipalmated Sandpipers and one Least.  Nothing else of note.



Now that we are near the end of May, time to fly off to other things such as breeding birds and butterflies.



No comments:

Post a Comment