Friday, May 31, 2019

Lambton Leps: Elfins, Duskywings and a Marble!

I had a window of opportunity to head up to North Lambton today before the usual weekend weather set in.  It was a bit hazy, but enough sun and warmth to bring out some butterflies.  It was a tiring day, as I checked as many areas as possible and probably walked 30 km!  I was not able to leave Wallaceburg until about 09:15, so it worked out well for what I wanted to see.
It was not a birding trip, so my targets were to find elfins and duskwings, and especially Olympia Marble. I did watch for birds of course and did come across a Prairie Warbler at Pinery, for example.

I headed straight for the beach accesses at Pinery.



I came across quite a few elfins, but all appeared to be Hoary this time.


I do not see many elfins, as there are none in Chatham-Kent and south Lambton!  As well, we are usually along Lake Erie looking for rare birds in May.



Some duskywings appeared to be only Juvenal's.  I even looked for Dusted Skipper to no avail.  However, I did not check one key area for Dusted.  Perhaps another time!



There were many Hoary Elfins.





I did not come across Olympia Marble in Pinery, which was my main target for the day.

After Pinery, I went over to Port Franks and visited the Karner Blue Sanctuary.

Wild Lupine


Here, there were dozens of duskywings!  I think it was the best day I had there for this family of skippers.  I saw three or four species.
Duskywings are notoriously difficult to ID sometimes, so I hope I got them right.
Sleepy was quite abundant, and I saw probably a dozen of these.





Juvenal's was there of course, with some well-marked.





I may have seen Columbine's as well.  These are very similar to Wild Indigo, but a bit smaller.  Red Columbine, foodplant, was fairly abundant.  Wild Indigo Duskywings can be found here as well.



I am not sure I saw a Dreamy Duskywing which is quite similar to Sleepy.  At least I did not photograph one.  I have seen them there in the past though.
This one is a bit dicey.



At one point, I saw a small white butterfly in the distance.  I knew right away what I had, but it took some time to get close and finally see it perched.



Olympia Marble it was!  😊👍



It has been a very long time since I have seen one, and in fact I could not tell you when that was.  They fly in mid spring and usually I am not up to north Lambton much at that time.  Same for the elfins which fly only a short time.

Also at Port Franks, I came across an Eastern Pine Elfin.  It was a beauty!



Later, I checked one area at Ipperwash Beach.  I saw a couple more Eastern Pine Elfins.


There is Western Pine Elfin, but one has to go farther north in the province.

No Olympia Marbles there either.



It was getting later in the afternoon, so I did not check the one trail at Ipperwash Dunes and Swales, which could have revealed more things such as Roadside Skipper.
I wanted to stop at some other areas on the way home, including Dow Wetlands, where we can find Upland Sandpiper.

I went home via St. Clair Parkway, as I needed to stop by to see some friends.  Along the way, a tardy Common Loon was off the CF Industries outflow.  Not unusal, as the odd ones can be found into summer around here.

Get ready for weekend weather......!  I am beat.

Bearberry at Pinery


No comments:

Post a Comment