Sunday, April 15, 2012

Titanic Movement of Red Admirals



On this 100th Anniversary of the sinking of the RMS Titanic highlight of the day was the migration of Red Admiral butterflies.  Although it rained most of the morning (birding was a bust today), by early afternoon it was evident that a mass migration of Red Admirals was underway.  I notice quite a few yesterday, but today they were absolutely everywhere.  The first spot I really noticed was when I walked the Marsh Trail (aka R/R) at Erieau.  I decided to walk the entire trail since there were many sparrows, etc. to look at.
All afternoon where-ever I went there was a constant easterly movement.  I birded Blenheim Lagoons with Mike Nelson and we noted the number there as well.  I noticed what I believe was a Question Mark as well.

I did not get home until 7 p.m. but noticed the Red Admirals all the way home.  About 50 were flying about my yard here when I arrived home.
I am not sure one can even begin to estimate the number in southern Ontario right now!
Lagoon Savannah Sparrow

Early this morning I arrived at Rondeau in anticipation of some good birding.  It was not to be.  In fact there were fewer birds than yesterday!  It poured rain most of the morning so that did not help.
Wet Woodcock

The Black-throated Green Warbler and Blue-gray Gnatcatcher were still hanging around the same area.  At least 4 Pine Warblers were at the visitor centre with many Yellow-rumped.  There were a couple of other Pine Warblers elsewhere.
White-throated Sparrow:  "Singing in the Rain"

During the heavy rain, we resorted to driving the roads for a couple of hours.  Not many birds, so we looked at turtles, toads and frogs too.


Nothing new to report elsewhere.  Same birds were at Blenheim Lagoons.  We only got a brief look at the shorebirds before there were scared off by a Northern Harrier.  They never returned.

5 comments:

  1. Blake, nice posting. I noticed Red Admirals everywhere at Pelee today as well, I've never seen so many!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dozens of migrating Red Admirals in our North London garden late this afternoon and evening, too. This is the first time in over 30 years that we have seen more than one Red Admiral in an entire season!

    April 15, 2012

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm in Windsor and my cherry tree is in full blossom. There were at least a dozen Red Admirals hanging around this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yesterday there were some Red Admirals around at Long Point, but it seems the real wave of them arrived this morning. They are everywhere in huge numbers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. On Spicebush Trail the next day there were thousands and thousands of Red Admirals and Eastern Commas. It was almost a psychedelic experience!

    ReplyDelete