Sunday, March 11, 2012

A Warm Week Ahead...


There will be a flood of spring birds this week with the mild temps.  I was going to mention Tree Swallows, early Purple Martins, etc., and just before I started writing this, Alan Wormington reports 10 Tree Swallows at Hillman Marsh!  Not surprising really with the strong SW wind yesterday.



As well, butterflies will be out this week.  They are already out!  Reports from Windsor (a couple), London and right here in Wallaceburg of Eastern Comma.  Funny thing, I just got done talking about butterflies, then I looked out my window and a comma was fluttering in the garden this afternoon.





I had one of those urges to go to Point Pelee today.  Got there early and stood at the Tip with Richard Carr.  The night was clear and the morning as well.  Visibility was very good.





It was interesting to watch reverse migration.  Nothing unusual that I could pick out, but of course there were hundreds of blackbirds heading south (including Rusty) and at least 200 American Robins.  Other species included meadowlark (5), Eastern Bluebird and Horned Lark among others.
Tip Robin:  "Should I go?"

Not much in the way of ducks, but a few White-winged Scoters and Surf Scoters went by.  A flock of approximately 10 Wood Ducks rounded the Tip (E to W).  Two Horned Grebes were out there as well.

The usual bats were on the Tip washroom wall.  Looks like two species here.  Always check that!

Out in the onion fields, some geese were in the corn, but I missed the two Ross's Geese (story of my life) by a few minutes.  I was too early going in this morning, but I figured that I would see them on my way out.  Nope.
I did see a Snowy Owl though, the first in a month!

At Hillman Bridge, about 700 Bonaparte's Gulls were milling about.  Lighting was bad, but I could not pick out anything else.  Neither could Mike Bouman!


I decided to stop at Tilbury Lagoons on the way back.  Several duck species were in plus a Pied-billed Grebe (first for the year, finally) and a Horned Grebe.




Tundra Swans near Tilbury

I saw a few Bald Eagles on the way home along Lake St. Clair.  They are becoming more numerous with various nests in the area.

1 comment:

  1. Had a Comma in Burlington today as well... Gotta love this warm weather. I'm hopeful to get out later this week!

    ReplyDelete