Saturday, October 1, 2011

North Wind + Lakewatch=Jaegers and Gulls

Well, today certainly panned out.  All week strong northerly winds were predicted for the weekend.  In the fall I hope for northerly winds on weekends to check out the mouth of Lake Huron at Point Edward for birds.  Usually the winds occur during week days, so today was a novelty.
I woke up early (too early!) so I headed up to the Point Edward lakewatch location.  Too dark to see anything, but I could see lots of gulls out there just as it was getting light.
Funny thing, I was sure I had a Sabine's Gull in that darkness, but how could you tell?  Sure enough, one appeared after it got light.
It was one of the best jaeger days I had there, although many did not come very close.  I suppose October 25, 2005 was better when we had upwards of 15 birds and all three species. Many of those flew right overhead at low altitude.
As usual, patience is required and there are long periods of time when little is seen.  I spent almost 7 hours there!  Where else would one go for birding on a windy day like this anyway?
Using a scope today was hopeless in that wind!
There were only six other birders there (one briefly), and four of those from Michigan.  More eyes help though.  Sometimes I have been there by myself and wondered what I had seen or missed!


Below is my posting to Ontbirds, which sums up the day's sightings:

It was one of the better gull/jaeger days I have ever had at Point Edward,
and one of the strongest NNE winds I have experienced there.
I arrived before first light and noticed a large number of gulls (too dark!)
either exiting the St. Clair River or at the mouth of the lake.  Just as it
was getting light I had a BLACK-LEGGED KITTIWAKE (juv).  A bit earlier I was
sure I saw a SABINE'S GULL, but it was too dark out still!
Turns out one juv SABINE'S appeared about 08:50.  It hung around at the
entrance to the river for over an hour.

Sabine's Gull!

Horned Grebes

Parasitic  Jaeger




I stayed longer than other observers, and estimated at least 15 jaegers
today.
Many were unidentifiable as most did not come close.  Some were obvious
"returnees" throughout the morning.  At least three were identifiable as juv
PARASITIC.
Just after others left, Steve Charbonneau and I saw two LONG-TAILED JAEGERS
come in.  One was an obvious adult with long tail streamers and the other
possibly a sub-adult.
I had five more jaegers after everyone left!  A duo was PARASITIC and another group of three was rather distant.  Two of those I suspected were POMARINE about 12:30.


Some other birds included two Phalaropes which I saw at first light, and
several times throughout the morning.  I think they were RED-NECKED  as the
last time I got a closer look.
several SANDERLINGS
7 Surf Scoters
~25 HORNED GREBES
1 RED-THROATED LOON
1 COMMON LOON
~50+ COMMON TERNS
+ Ruddy, Redhead, Lesser Scaup ducks



Directions to Point Edward Lakewatch:  Find Front St. in Sarnia (along
river in downtown) and follow it north to St. Clair St. just past the 402
overpass.  Turn left on St. Clair St. and follow it to its very north end in
Point Edward past Michigan Ave.  Turn left on Victoria Ave. and go less than
two blocks to Fort St.  Turn right onto Fort St. and go to the parking lot
at the lake.

1 comment:

  1. Blake,
    A Kittiwake, Sabines and a three-pack of Jaegers makes for a nice morning. Great stuff! -DM

    ReplyDelete