Sunday, November 22, 2009

Brant Goose: Heading East



For a change of scenery, I headed into Elgin County today. There are lots of places along the lake to look for birds. It has been a while since I checked out the ports along that stretch of Lake Erie. A Black-tailed Gull was reported earlier this past week at Port Burwell. Most of the gulls are out on the lake during the day, so perhaps late in the afternoon is the best time to look for a wayward gull.

My first stop was going to be Port Stanley lagoons. On Coon Road west of the lagoons, I saw some birders looking at a huge number of gulls in a field. Turned out to be Andrew Keaveney and Tim Snieder! After some looking at those gulls, which were heading out to the lake, I went to the lagoons.
First thing I saw was an eagle perched in a distant tree. I did not look at it with a scope, but after the others arrived, we realized it was a Golden Eagle. Not too often one gets to look at a perched Golden Eagle!
Two Dunlin and a Pectoral Sandpiper were the only shorebirds at the lagoons. Among the many Canada Geese was a smaller one, but certainly not a Cackling.
We all headed to Port Stanley Harbour and upon our arrival, a Cooper's Hawk flew by. A couple of Pipits were overhead as well. Not much happening there...weather too nice!
The others had seen the Brant Goose at Port Bruce yesterday, so I headed over there. I saw it right away along the breakwall feeding on the grass.

I suspect this is the same individual that was at Port Glasgow three weeks ago. It was also seen at Port Stanley this past week. Nice to see up close!

Looking East from Port Bruce

I went as far as Port Burwell, but it was quiet. I walked through the Provincial Park and noted the usual birds. With all the good birds in that area in recent times, I had hoped to find something, but my usual luck persisted.

I stopped at Port Glasgow on the way back. Just the usual gulls.


Looking west from Port Glasgow
I travelled the west portion of Gray Line. It is a neat road with deep ravines. Some parts are not maintained in the winter, so be careful. Acadian Flycatchers nest in some of the wooded ravines.
A quick stop in the Rondeau campground revealed the usual nuthatches, Yellow-rumped Warblers, kinglets, etc.
We need some cold weather to concentrate the birds!

No comments:

Post a Comment