Sunday, September 29, 2024

Something Elusive and OFO Convention Weekend

 Warblers are still coming through in good numbers of late.

Peers Parula



And, sparrows are certainly increasing in numbers.

Lincoln's Sparrow

The afternoon before I left for Algonquin Park, I noticed a clubtail fly into the yard.  It set down on a cedar tree, as seen from my bedroom window.  I went outside with the camera, but could not get close to it.  It looked quite interesting!

I took some really crappy photos, and on further examination, I was fairly certain that it was an Elusive Clubtail.  This is an uncommon clubtail not seen often in late summer and early fall.  It can show up anywhere, but more likely along rivers such as the Sydenham or Thames.  I have only photographed some once, and that was at Brander Park, Port Lambton 14 October 2013.  So they can be quite late in the fall.

I put the photos on iNaturalist not expecting any results. A fellow naturalist confirmed it as such, so it will go down as an incredible yard record!

Here is a photo, and take it as you may.


Thursday was quite nice, and I went for some walks locally.  At Wilkesport, I found a Royal River Cruiser.  Getting late for them, and probably the latest one I have seen.


Other insects:

Oblique Streaktail

Comma of the East

Common Buckeyes are not problem anywhere this year!



This weekend was the annual Ontario Field Ornithologists (OFO) weekend, which was held at Leamington.  Nice to have it close to home!  Next year it will be even closer, at Sarnia.  First time for there, so it will be interesting.

Friday's weather was fairly nice, but very windy as the remnants of hurricane Helene blew in.  A Red Knot was found at the Erieau pier, so I decided that was a good place to start my weekend.  I was just getting things together at home when it was reported, so I then made a beeline to Erieau in hopes that it was still there.  It was, and it was  a nice addition to my year list.  I was worried that I would miss it this year.



It spent quite a bit of time on the leeside of the pier.


Red Knots have taken a nosedive in numbers the last fifteen years or so.  We often just see single birds anymore, if any at all.  I recall when I first started birding, we could get good-sized flocks at Rondeau later in May.  Mostly a thing of the past!

It was very windy at Erieau (and elsewhere), and I stayed for a couple of hours in hopes of seeing something else of interest.  Did not happen though.

A couple of Peregrine Falcons hung around though.


Erieau Pier

It was then off to Point Pelee to start my OFO convention weekend.  

*their logo*

The weather was nice enough to look for butterflies, but I did not seen too much.  This Fiery Skipper caught my eye at one point.



It probably noticed me as well.


I also later saw a Southern Dogface-Sulphur at Sanctuary.  They are getting worn and fewer in numbers.  Strangely, no other bigtime rarities from the south have been seen yet.

I spent other time looking for birds.  Along the way, this melanistic Garter Snake was slithering around on the trail.  I was not in a position to get the whole creature in a photo.


Lots of moths are seen this time of year.  I think this one is a Corn Earworm Moth.  I could not get in a better position to photograph it.  Note the green eye!


With the wind, some lake ships were anchored.  I think this one is the John J. Boland.


With the high east winds, the constantly changing Tip was gone.  Lots of spray over the shallow waters.


Friday evening there was an informal dinner at the Portuguese Club Leamington.  Sarah Rupert's famous bird quiz was once again challenging!


Saturday was another story.  It was constant rain and drizzle most of the day.  As usual, the weather forecast was wrong and we received way more rain than predicted.  The high winds made it quite miserable as well!  I guess I am used to that....

As a result, I did not bring out the camera, so no photos unfortunately.

However, we were all out looking for birds.  I opted to go to the Tip (and get soaked).  Lots of birds were seen, but nothing spectacular.  However, a couple of distant jaegers were seen, and two American White Pelicans put on a show for observers.

At one point, I caught sight of a shorebird flying quickly south.  It turned out to be a Red-necked Phalarope, and I got a few dedicated birders on it.

Later, I spent most of time around De Laurier, where I found a multitude of birds.  Through off and on rain, I actually found it interesting and racked up a good list.

Orange-crowned Warbler (example of one species I found)

I was soaked during the day and had no change of clothes as I did not expect all this rain, but dried out enough to attend the evening festivities.

This year's Distinguished Ornithologist is Mark Peck, well-deserved with his decades of work at the Royal Ontario Museum, shorebirds surveys especially on James Bay and elsewhere, writings, and other things.

The keynote speakers made an interesting presentation on indigenous bird names.  Quite informative!

I went home after the event, rather than stay another night.

The OFO Convention is certainly a wonderful social affair which I enjoy immensely and look forward to it every year.  Next year, I can stay at home to attend the event!





2 comments:

  1. You had some nice finds! I watched unsuccessfully for the Southern Dogface. A couple of hopeful moments both turned into Orange Sulphurs. Some good insects could be found in the sheltered areas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I stopped by Sanctuary beach around 3 pm after it stopped raining. There was a single Southern Dogface flying, but I could not get a photo. Their colour is more akin to Clouded Sulphur actually.

      Delete