Thursday, September 26, 2024

Algonquin Visit: No Shortage of Rain!

 Sunday, I headed up to Algonquin Park for my annual visit.  I took the usual route and arrived after a 5.5h drive.  The weather was nice on Sunday, but it went downhill from there.  My usual bad luck followed me.....again!

As always, it was just nice to be in Algonquin.  I fought rain and drizzle from Monday to Wednesday, but made the best of it.  Birds were not plentiful and I only got one of the specialties despite a valiant effort.  I added some year birds, and a some new birds for my Algonquin list.

For some reason, the Black-backed Woodpeckers disappeared and have been virtually absent since mid summer.  Where do they go?  Canada Jays are getting scarcer, and Boreal Chickadees are virtually absent from the Highway 60 corridor anymore.  Crossbills are not around this fall.

I did not carry the camera much of the time since it was either rain or drizzle under gloomy skies.

As always, my first walk was on the old railway bed off Arowhon Road.  Certainly a popular spot, as many people come here.  It was certainly a bit quiet for birds compared to last year.

Trees are turning colours


I did add a flyover Evening Grosbeak, which I was quite pleased about.

I met Mike Runtz at one point, and he indicated that a Spruce Grouse was in the area less than a half hour earlier.  I never saw it though!

Some insects included odes.

Canada Darner (lots!)

Autumn Meadowhawks


spreadwing sp.  (probably identifiable, but camera would not focus)

Another  things such as the common Eastern Calligrapher.


To kill some time before heading to Mew Lake, I stopped by the Cache Lake boat launch.  Here, as described in past posts, is where the famous Highland Inn and Park Headquarters were along the railroad.  Always interesting.

remnants--the steps to nowhere



After another walk was on Two Rivers trail. There is a nice cliff view.


I then headed into the Mew Lake campground across the road.  I checked out the old airfield first thing since I knew the weather was going to go into the toilet the rest of the trip.


Good thing, as insects were flying which would be absent the rest of the trip.

I found some American Coppers (at least six).



Other butterflies included a single Monarch (high-flying!) and some Clouded Sulphurs.

(photo from the past)

At the outlet of Two Rivers, there are always American Black Ducks.


But there was an American Wigeon as well, quite uncommon in the park.  It was a new bird for my Algonquin list.  Not close, but I attempted a photo.


Sunday evening, the clouds rolled in and thunder could be heard. We had a very heavy rain during the night which kept me awake.

Monday morning, I walked the old airfield again, not turning up much.  There were oodles of Yellow-rumped Warblers, as was the case the whole trip.  Certainly more plentiful than in past trips.  

Some other warblers were mixed in during the trip including, Bay-breasted, Blackpoll, Black-throated Green, Tennessee and even an Orange-crowned.  Lots of Palm Warblers and a few Pine as well.


I then headed to Spruce Bog Boardwalk in hopes of seeing Spruce Grouse.  I was not disappointed!  However, lighting was horrible due to the doom and gloom weather.  ISO had to be set at maximum, hence photo quality poor.





These tame creatures are not too bothered by your presence.

Since I was in that direction, I headed over to the Logging Museum trail.  Nothing really of note, except Tennessee Warbler had turned "rare" on the eBird list!

one of the displays

With a break in the rain, although there was mostly drizzle when not raining, I walked Bat Lake Trail. 


 It is an excellent birding trail (usually!).  In the past, I have had good luck with all the specialties on this trail.  Unfortunately, Boreal Chickadee (for example) is almost a thing of the past along the highway 60 corridor.

The out-of-place boulder I always photograph!

I did add another new species for my park list in the form of a Green-winged Teal.

I saw a "year bird" which was a Ruffed Grouse.

(there is a grouse in this cellphone photo!)

Near the end of the trail, I found a good pocket of warblers, including a Blackpoll and Bay-breasted which were now "rare" on eBird.  (I think their filter should be adjusted!).

While having an expensive lunch at Two Rivers Store, some Wild Turkeys were foraging across the road.  They are becoming more regular in Algonquin.  I think this was a new bird for my list as well.

Not wanting to go anywhere else while it threatened rain, I walked the old airfield again.  Out on the lake, I found the Horned Grebe which had previously been reported.  Rather uncommon in the park, and a first for my park list.  I have seen Red-necked Grebe before though!

Tuesday morning, I met up with Kevin Gevaert who works in the park.  I have known Kevin for some time since he used to work at Rondeau Park.  We checked out the old airfield.

Nothing of note, but lots of American Pipits were circling around.

I then decided to walk the old railway bed off Arowhon Road again.  I found it rather quiet.  I did see another Green-winged Teal though!

Before lunch, I checked out the trailer sanitation station area.  A portage trail is here, which I had not been to in many years.  I always used to check this place out and it seemed good for birds.  (had Boreal Chickadee there once).  However, it was quiet this time.

Then I walked Big Pines trail, which was almost birdless.  No doubt weather was a factor!


Saw this plant along the way which seemed to stick out.

Bluebead Lily

After lunch, it was to the old airfield again, then after supper yet another walk on the airfield.  Just the usuals.

Wednesday morning was quite rainy (nothing new there) as I packed things up for the drive home.  I walked the old airfield before leaving Mew Lake in the rain (no choice!).  The only thing new was a second American Wigeon.  Both were seen together.

Heading west, I stopped by Tea Lake Dam picnic area for a look.


Here is where the artist Tom Thompson camped at one point.  There is an interpretive sign giving the information.


The drive home was uneventful without rain of course, and the weather got better the closer I got to home......naturally.

The evening was spent trying to get things dried out....




No comments:

Post a Comment