Monday, September 16, 2024

More Garden Insects and Other Things

 Not much excitement lately as we have had the exact same weather pattern for the last week.  Very nice, but stagnant!

With goldenrod in bloom, insects are highly attracted to the flowers.  I have been looking for different things in the garden.  Some insects are the same.

Hump-backed Beewolf


Four-lined Hornet Fly



Northern Paper Wasp

European Paper Wasp

Hornworm Tachnid Fly

I spotted a couple of different ones though.  Not being sure what I had photographed, this one turned out to be a type of mosquito.  It is called an Elephant Mosquito!



Yesterday, I focused on the tinier insects.  One turned out to be a Cobalt Hover Fly.  Very tiny, and difficult to photograph, but this one comes up as vulnerable in Ontario (rare on NHIC).  There are very few records for Ontario.  Probably overlooked since it is so tiny.




A walk at Reid CA in the afternoon revealed more Shadow Darners.


The usual "common" butterflies were seen.

Common Buckeye

Common Checkered-Skipper

The Cardinal Flower was still in bloom.  Seems to bloom for a very long time!


I found a freshly-dead moth called a Dingy Cutworm Moth.


Saturday, I checked out Keith McLean C. L. and Blenheim lagoons.  I could not come up with anything different despite trying!

Northern Harrier

Fiery Skipper


Yesterday I stayed close to home.  A couple of Yellow-billed Cuckoos were at Wilkesport.  They may have nested on the property.



At home, it was nice to see a few warblers working the yard.  Included were Magnolia, Bay-breasted (4), Northern Parula, Blackpoll and Cape May (2).

Bay-breasted Warbler

Magnolia Warbler



Some were still present today.

With the continuous east winds, hawk migration has been good along the Lake Huron coastline. Broad-winged Hawks have been in the thousands.

I went up to Ipperwash this morning to try and see a few. I found it quite disappointing.  I guess with my usual bad luck, I was in the wrong spot compared to other viewers.  Although I saw some kettles, I went home disgusted!




Spotted Spreadwing at Ipperwash


No comments:

Post a Comment