Thursday, September 12, 2024

Some September Sightings and a Dogface!

Back to warm weather!  Birding has been patchy, but we experienced a highlight in the butterfly department at Point Pelee.  More on that in a bit.

Yesterday (Wednesday) I went down to Point Pelee to look for butterflies.  Things seemed to have picked up lately.  We may see some more highlights there in coming weeks!

I had hoped to find a Grey Hairstreak, but that never materialized.  Common Buckeyes are everywhere now and are a common sight.



I did find one female Fiery Skipper at one point.




I also saw a Cloudless Sulphur flutter by, but as usual it was on a mission.
I also saw a Pipevine Swallowtail, but it too was on a mission.

An American Snout was in the VC parking lot.  My first for this year.



Along west beach trail, there were lots of butterflies, especially sulphurs.  One would think a rarity in that family would pop up.

Late in the day, I got word that a Southern Dogface-Sulphur was photographed at the north end of the park.  There you go!

In retrospect, I also saw one there just after lunch but did not realize what it was, hence I did not pursue it.  Duh!  After seeing Bob's photos last night, that was 100% what I saw!

Word this morning was that several were being seen.  Back to Pelee I went! Sigh!

Several friends were on the creatures when I arrived, and I saw three in short order.  They were quite active, but while at perch, they do not look much different than an Orange Sulphur.



One even sat on the beach for a time.



One has to see them in flight to see the characteristic "money-shot" pattern.  Something difficult to photograph, but I managed some record shots.









This sulphur gets its name from the pattern on the upper wing which resembles the face of a dog.



The last record at Point Pelee was in 2008, and I have certainly not seen one to my knowledge until yesterday.

The State of Ohio has reported an influx recently, so it stands to reason that Point Pelee would experience some.

Certainly worth the trip to Point Pelee today!  We saw at least ten in the beach area after several of us wandered around.

Perhaps others will show up at different locations. 

There are lots of insects around right now at Point Pelee and other things to watch for.  Here is a Four-toothed Mason Wasp that I photographed in Sparrow Field.  It is apparently imperiled elsewhere in Canada, but not here.




Tuesday, I walked the south shore nature trail at Mitchell's Bay.  It has been very calm and clear this week, so viewing conditions were great.  There were lots of birds.




Highlight I suppose, were some Common Nighthawks flying around in the day.  At first I noticed one perched, which was preening at the time.  They are easy to miss when perched.  I happened to sit down on one of the benches and looked up.



Then I saw two working the skies overhead.




Another highlight was a large dragonfly that I saw flying around.  It eventually went to perch.  I thought, why does that look like a Royal River Cruiser?  Because it is!  Not something I expected at this location.





In the afternoon, it was too nice not to got for a walk at Reid CA.  




Not much happening there, but I saw a couple more Shadow Darners, not to mention Royal River Cruisers.  Getting late for the cruisers.

Shadow Darner



This katydid was in the parking lot when I arrived.  Not sure what species, as nobody wants to try and ID on iNaturalist!



Of course, Common Buckeyes were there as well as Common Painted-Lady.



So, things are happening!  Keep your eyes peeled.



No comments:

Post a Comment