Thursday, August 1, 2024

Hot Finds and Reid CA Strikes Yet Again!

 It has been an uncomfortable week with hot and humid conditions.  And, not too exciting........at least until today!

I always go for a walk somewhere each morning, and Tuesday it was Mitchell's Bay.  Just the expected birds were seen.

Green Heron

Spotted Sandpiper (with no spots)


And some insects....

Slender Spreadwing

Milkweed Tussock Moth caterpillars

Yesterday, I decided to go to the Shetland CA boat launch and look for odonates.  It was sunny around home, but approaching the said place, it clouded over and was a bit foggy.  Not surprising as it was horribly humid yesterday.  Just my luck.

I looked anyway, and eventually the sun thankfully came out.  Anyone who looks for butterflies and dragonflies knows that the sun is essential for good activity.

I was hoping to see a Dusky Dancer, but that was not to be.  Hopefully this rarity will show up soon.  However, I did see almost all the other regulars at Shetland.

A couple of Flag-tailed Spinylegs showed up in the large dragonfly department.



Also its cousin the Black-shouldered Spinyleg was around in numbers.



Speaking of spiny things, a large Spiny Softshell pulled up on a usual perch just downriver.


And of course a few Blackstripe Topminnows made themselves known.


Back to odes, a few of the dancers were dancing around.  (As a disclaimer, I was not on my A-game with the camera this day!).

Powdered Dancer

Blue-tipped Dancer

Violet Dancer

Blue-fronted Dancer

This is a good spot for the endangered Blue-ringed Dancer.




On the way home, I made a quick stop at Wilkesport.  I managed to get a photo of a Royal River Cruiser for the day!


Today, I did not have a clue what to do.  I ended up going to Rondeau Park and walking out marsh trail to half way point.  It was uncomfortably hot and humid, and perhaps that it why I did not see much of note!

Common Buckeye

Swamp Rose Mallow (plentiful in some areas)

This afternoon I just had to go for a walk at Reid CA despite the heat.  Turned out to be worthwhile!

The usual Dukes' Skippers were near the start greeting me as I walked by.


Soon, they will be gone for another year, as they are now showing their wear.  It has been a good year for them.

I walked to the end of the laneway, then along the east edge of the back field.

Appalachian Brown

Quite a few Lance-tipped Darners are around now.  The ones I saw today flew into shaded areas to escape the heat.


Then for whatever reason, I walked through the Lilly Bush, mosquitoes and all!  I usually stay out in the open in summer here.  But, I survived.

Walking back the laneway, I spotted a skipper flitting around.  I thought it was a Peck's Skipper and was going to ignore it.  However, I thought to attempt a photo anyway since I could include it as part of the Nature Conservancy's Backyard Bioblitz which is on, starting today.

As I focused on the creature, I realized it was not a Peck's Skipper.  The only other possibility was a Zabulon Skipper!  Never in my wildest dreams would I think of finding one at Reid.


After taking several photos, I walked away still in disbelief.

Reid CA continues to produce interesting and rare things. I now have at least 56 species of butterflies on the property.

Zabulon is a rarity in Ontario.  Lots of records are in Essex County over the years, including many this year.  I was actually tempted to head down to Ojibway this summer just to see one or two, but I hate that drive!  Now it is not necessary.  And, it is certainly a lot more fun finding your own, especially in an unexpected location.

As far as I know this is only the second Lambton record, as one was photographed on June 1 of this year at Canatara Park by DB.  Something must be afoot with them this year.

After this hot find on a hot day, it was cool sailing the rest of the day!





No comments:

Post a Comment