Saturday, August 17, 2024

Birds and Butterflies This Week

 Things started to pick up finally with bird migration on Wednesday.  I stopped by the south shore nature trail at Mitchell's Bay and found numerous warblers and other things.  Of the nine species in the warbler department, many were Blackburnian.  But, the highlight was a Prairie Warbler.  I was not able to get photos of any warblers, as they were moving quite a bit.  I seem to to do better in the fall migration with Prairie Warblers!

I did, however, get a photo of an Olive-sided Flycatcher.  They too, seem more plentiful in autumn migration.  It is my favourite regular flycatcher!


Later, being optimistic, I checked out Peers Wetland and Reid CA, but found no warblers!

Prairie plantings are showing their flowers this time of year.  At Peers, here are some yellow things.

Cup Plant

Prairie Dock

Tall Coreopsis

Unfortunately, there is a lot of Purple Loosestrife this year mixed in.  You can seen some in the Prairie Dock photo.

Common Buckeye seems regular this summer.  Here is another at Reid CA.


Thursday, I decided to give Point Pelee a shot.  A Zabulon Skipper had been photographed at Blue Heron the day before, so I thought maybe I could see one there.

To let things warm up, I checked out De Laurier trail for birds first thing.  It was a good choice, as it was loaded with warblers at the back side!  Blackburnian was the most numerous, and I only got one poor photo.



Others were moving too quickly on their quest for food to get photos.

I tallied about thirteen species of warblers.  Tennessee came in second place!

I walked west beach trail south of VC.  Not many butterflies though.

American Painted-Lady


I did see a Swamp Darner, but it was too impatient to be photographed.

I then headed back north, and checked out the trail south of NW beach.  While there, I received a text from Rick Mayos that the Zabulon had been refound.  Luckily, I was not far away!

Upon arrival, I saw it right away.  It had similar behaviour to the ones at Reid CA, so I knew what to look for.  Another male, no less.


Ironically, it was first time this was recorded at Point Pelee.  Of the incredible butterfly list at Point Pelee, it was certainly overdue.

After this event, I headed over to Hillman marsh and walked around the shorebird cell.  I did not see much in the way of butterflies though.  A couple more Buckeye.



Crescents were quite numerous, but quite a few Common Checkered-Skippers were flitting around as well.



Before finishing up, I caught sight of this Common Sooty-Wing.


Friday seemed like a boring day, but I headed down to Erieau an Blenheim.  I walked the rail trail, but did not see much at all (except blackbirds!).

Then, headed over to Keith McLean C. L.  Several Bobolinks were on the move there, but not much else.



I headed into Rondeau Park, but then quickly decided I would go over to Blenheim lagoons instead, since some shorebirds were reported.

Upon arrival, some Canada Geese flew overhead and kept going.  Among them was a white one!



Shorebirds were extremely skittish, and I had difficulty keeping on them.  A Wilson's Phalarope was nice to see, but it was too far out, and rather elusive to get photos.
I guess the highlight was a Baird's Sandpiper, which was new for the year, even though expected.  I only had a brief view of it though.  Seemed impossible to get any photographs this day!

The lonely Canvasback was still swimming around endlessly, as it has been all summer.




Today, I stayed fairly close to home.  Mitchell's Bay was a complete bust first thing, so I headed back to Peers and Reid CA.

Reid was terribly wet, as we had another dumping of rain yesterday and last night.  However, one of the Zabulon Skippers was still present!




I thought they were gone, as on my last visit a few days ago, I could not find one.

Not much else, but this Transverse-banded Flower Fly caught my eye.  Although quite common, it is a neat insect.


Some Peck's Skippers finally arrived in the yard yesterday.





But honestly, I am hoping for a Zabulon!  Certainly not out of the question.

In the garden today, I captured in photo a Hidalgo Mason Wasp.  I saw a couple here last year, and found out they are imperiled in Canada.



Nearby was a Mexican Grass-carrying Wasp.  Quite common in the USA and southern Ontario.





No comments:

Post a Comment