Monday, July 1, 2024

More Travels, Garden Sightings and Canada Day Finds

 With the weather not too desirable the last few days (until today), I have not found much.  The excessive rain continued until Saturday.  I think farmers should consider growing rice around here with all the flooded fields!

The garden is about at its peak now, and lots of insects have been visiting the yard.  


A couple of new ones have showed up as well.  Some just have scientific names and are difficult to pin down since there are many look-alikes.

Lasioglossum pilosum


Odontomyia


Ligated Furrow Bee


Two-spotted Longhorn Bee

Bicolored Striped Sweat Bee

Bellflower Resin Bee

And, those very tiny and difficult to photograph insects..

Oblique Streaktail


Globetails and calligraphers are in this category too.

I found a katydid in the garden today.  May be Fork-tailed Bush Katydid


Lots of Red Admirals in the yard today, but this Orange Sulphur was an uncommon visitor here.



Sunday a cold stiff north wind was blowing most of the day.  Some sun was forecast, but that never happened (at least until late afternoon)!  I did quite a bit of running around being quite disappointed with how things went since the sun never came out.

After going for a walk on the CASO trail near Ridgetown, I stopped by the lagoons.  A couple of fall migrants in the form of Least Sandpipers were working the mud.




It was then off to Clearville.  I could hear a Dickcissel singing somewhere west of Clearville Road, so another new location this year.

I walked the cemetery trail nearby.  It is good for butterflies when the weather co-operates.  A couple of Northern Pearly-Eye were out under cloudy skies.




Even though the sun was not out, I visited the old quarry.  Naturally, not much was flying due to lack of sun.  More of those bluets that nobody seems to be able to identify were flying.  May be Azure Bluets.




I found this unidentified dragonfly at one point.


(Sorry, that is some type of fishing lure!)

I have been finding quite a few of those sedgesitters lately.  Here is one at Clear Creek.




After that disappointment, I worked my way up to Wardsville Woods for more disappointment!  (I need to stop looking at weather forecasts!).

I did not expect much and certainly did not see much, but I had to look anyway.


Heading home, I made one more detour before cutting my losses for the day.  At Reid CA, this Smeared Dagger caterpillar stood out on the sedges.




Nearby, this Bunchberry Leaffolder Moth was perched.




Here is another fly, possibly Melanostoma.


Not sure what this grasshopper species is.


Early for Halloween, this pennant briefly posed.





Although today started out quite cool, it was finally a perfect weather day.  Long time coming!
I went for a walk at McKeough, doing some bird atlassing.  I finally heard a couple of Black-billed Cuckoos.  They have been notably scarce or absent everywhere this spring.

Early on, this Coyote took a brief look at me, then scooted off.




I saw a couple of Spot-winged Gliders at one point.  It was too early for much to be flying yet.




I then went over to Reid for a long walk around the back field.  There were a couple more Spot-winged Gliders.




Royal River Cruisers are now out, and I saw at least three.  However, they did not co-operate for photos!

And, I heard a Yellow-billed Cuckoo for the first time there this year.  Did the cuckoos just come in, or what?

I caught sight of a hairstreak, which looked like Hickory.  It was in a horrible position for a photo.




I checked for Dukes' Skippers, but none showed.  Maybe some came out this afternoon, but I was not going back again today.  They should be appearing now.  
Boots are required though with all the rain lately.  It is the wettest I have ever seen it there!

I lingered around the parking lot area for a while.  A couple of Banded Hairstreaks were in the vicinity.


So, not a total loss for hairstreaks.  Does not look good for them this year.....again.

I one point near the parking lot I caught sight of something interesting, and it turned out to be a Mocha Emerald!  It was my second for the location, and it was many years ago I saw one here last.  They are a large distinctive emerald.




As alluded to in a previous post, Mochas have been expanded their range and breeding areas.  Lots have been seen in various spots this year already.

The Mocha sighting certainly made for a good ending to the visit at Reid!

Large Lace-border Moth at Reid



No comments:

Post a Comment