Thursday, June 27, 2024

Finds Of This Week and Disappointments

 This past week I did quite a bit of running around.  Somewhat disappointing at times, as things did not meet my expectations.  We are still getting way too much rain around here! Some places are just too swampy for enjoyable walks.

Monday, it was down to the Hillman and Pelee direction.  On the way, I viewed the Dickcissels at Vanedie Road.  They seem to be here every year, but will not likely be successful in nesting as these fields will be cut, as usual.


The long walk at Hillman did not meet my expectations.  The deer flies were horrendous!  I spent most of the time swatting and killing the buggers!

Early on, I came across this Orange Bluet.  Looks more yellow to me!


One of the dragonflies encountered was Eastern Amberwing.


Here is a very common moth called Bi-lobed Looper.



Not many butterflies, but this Northern Broken-Dash posed briefly.


I went to Point Pelee and walked a couple of places.  One was the marsh boardwalk.  I had hoped to find Lilypad Forktail, but I do not think I saw one!  I kept finding Skimming Bluets.


I have seen the rare Lilypad Forktail there many years ago though.

Next day there were heavy dark clouds over Wallaceburg, so I eventually headed south where it looked clearer.  Mainly, I wanted to walk the beach at Rondeau off south point trail.  I got the walk in at Rondeau, but the rain followed me and cut my stay short.  We were hammered with rain again, most of the way home!

Eastern Pondmussel

Wednesday I found a couple of interesting things locally.  I went for a long walk at Reid CA, but it was terribly humid and wet to the foot.  (Too many puddles and mud from all the rain!).

I found this insect called a sedgesitter.  Apparently there are similar species that can be difficult to ID correctly.  They often perch with head downward.



One of the moths encountered included a Small Bird-dropping moth.


At one point, I managed to spot a Broad-winged Skipper!  I usually do not see them until July.


Looks like another bad year for hairstreaks, as I did not find any in three visits this past week.

I had been anxious to get back to Port Franks and visit the Sandrin Woods tract.  Today looked like a decent day, but I made the mistake in believing the forecast.  It was cloudy the whole morning at Port Franks and Ipperwash!  Not to mention the cool and stiff north wind.  So, yet another disappointment.  But I made the best of it.  Of course, there was not much flying.

Here are some finds at Sandrin:

We can find a number of robber flies in our area, but this one is a little different and not as common.

Three-banded Robber Fly

A fat female Eastern Pondhawk!

teneral female Calico Pennant

There were several of these damselflies.  I am not really sure what species at this point, since nobody on iNaturalist is brave enough to make a suggestion.  I have never seen this form before if it is an Azure Bluet.  Note the eggs underneath!


Butterflies included this Great-spangled Fritillary.


A nice find, but in an awkward position, was this Coral Hairstreak.


I also checked out some spots at Ipperwash to no avail.  It was a lost cause without any sun!

Naturally, once I was out of the north Lambton area, the sun was shining!  I stopped by Marthaville Habitat Area, where there was no shortage of odes.  

Slaty Skimmer is common here.


I wondered if Lilypad Forktail might be here, but after some intense looking, I could not come up with any.  I kept seeing Skimming Bluets, not to mention Eastern Forktails and Fragile Forktails.





Eastern Forktail



At one point I am certain I saw a Mocha Emerald.  A couple of brief looks were only obtained before it disappeared.  This species is expanding its range, and there seems to be sighting in multiple locations already this year.

I came across another oddball fly.  Apparently called a Gray Goggle Eye!


With fields still flooded around here, hopefully the rains will ease up and let things dry up this coming week.

Great-crested Flycatcher at Sandrin


No comments:

Post a Comment