Thursday, June 13, 2024

Scenes of Late and Dickcissel Arrival

 Lately, many of us have been roaming around to see what we can find for the breeding bird atlas.  'Tis the season!  I have not found anything new in my area, but as time goes on it gets more difficult to upgrade breeding codes.  One can only cover a small fraction of the territory.

Monday I drove around the Port Lambton-Sombra area for my "half" square.  It includes the lagoons of both villages, but I did not venture into them.  It is a "process" to get legal access to them and I did not want to be bothered with that this year.

I stopped by Reid CA after the drive.  I saw those flies again.  Only thing I can come up with is a type of bog fly.  Nobody can ID them on iNaturalist it seems.




Common everywhere, are Narrow-headed Marsh Flies.



A few butterflies were flying, including this Tiger Swallowtail.


Tuesday I needed a long walk, so the best option was to go to Rondeau.  I did a beach walk, starting at the light beacon area, all the way out south beach.  There was hardly a thing flying on the lake, and the only things swimming were a couple of Common Loons.

It was a nice calm and clear day, so it was enjoyable.



I did not see any shorebirds until I got well out south beach.  There were lots of Semipalmated Sandpipers (62), Semipalmated Plovers (8), a Sanderling, and a White-rumped Sandpiper.  There were even four rather late Least Sandpipers.





A single Black-bellied Plover was a tardy individual.


The only ducks were two Mallards, two Red-breasted Mergansers and this impaled duck.


We will be seeing fall migrants soon.....unfortunately!

For mussels, there were lots of Fatmucket as usual, but I picked out a couple of the rarer types.

Wabash Pigtoe









Eastern Pondmussel









After the long walk at Rondeau, I stopped by Keith McLean Conservation Lands.  Nothing of note, except this American Coot seemed lonely.



Wednesday, I stayed fairly close to home and checked out more things for the bird atlas.  I walked along the diversion channel from McKeough to highway 40 first thing.  Seemed a bit quiet to me, and certainly not as many Orchard Orioles as usual for example.

I went to Reid CA as well for a bit, but nothing to photograph!

I rolled by the Sombra Solar Farm as well. The Western Meadowlark was still present, but will not likely stay.  That afternoon, apparently, the grass was cut.  Unfortunately that meant lots of nesting birds were destroyed.  Some rural landowners have to do what they have to do, but are oblivious to the wildlife they are killing off.

In the afternoon, I drove out to Port Lambton to check the pond at Brander Park.  Some Eastern Amberwings were flying, as well as Skimming Bluets.



Soon, I will have to check for the rarer Westfall's Slender Bluets there!

Things are starting to bloom in the garden, so I will be checking for insects.  This bee is a new one as far as I can tell.

Patchwork Leafcutter Bee


And, common things such as Bi-colored Sweat Bee.


Today I needed to go farther afield and ended up at Hillman Marsh for a long walk.  Seemed a bit on the quiet side to me.  As always, I keep an eye out for insects.

Halloween Pennant

Viceroy

Skimming Bluet

It was still early when I finished, so headed over to Point Pelee.  I did not stay long, but walked to the Tip.  American White Pelicans are getting rather common there anymore!  There were at least 60 upon my arrival--the most I have ever seen there at one time.

It is a good time of year for a rare gull, such as Black-headed.  I have seen two!  However, no appearance today.

I was hoping to see lots of insects, but they were rather few (again!).

Blue Dasher (female)

While there, word came out about some Dickcissels near Fletcher.  That was perfect since I would be going home that way!

We had just talked about Dickcissels yesterday and how they have been absent so far.  There are lots Michigan and westward, but not in Ontario.  Perhaps things will change soon, depending on weather and breeding success out there.

Two birds were singing upon my arrival at the specified location.  Not close though, but good enough to see and hear.



No comments:

Post a Comment