Saturday, June 15, 2024

Just Insects

 The last couple of days I have mainly been looking at insects.  Normal for this time of year!

Yesterday I was at McKeough and Reid CA. In the puddles at Reid, these long-legged flies were quite numerous.  There are many look-alikes and are in the genus Dolichopodinae, according to the ID on iNaturalist.  I saw them last year as well.  Neat little things, but difficult to photograph.



Bluets included the countless numbers of Blue-fronted.


Skimming Bluet, which seems more common than I ever thought was present as well.  Some Stream Bluets were doing their thing (not near a stream!).


The tiny Fragile Forktail is easy to miss.


And its slightly larger cousin, the Eastern Forktail.


I came across one Pronghorn Clubtail at Reid.  They are more numerous at McKeough though.


Just before finishing my walk, I came across a female Slaty Skimmer.  I did not clue in as to species at first, but after a year, one gets rusty!  I think males are nicer though.


The Slaty's are not all that numerous around here.

This lacewing Chrysopa oculata (probably) caught my eye at one point.


Here is a female Common Whitetail.


There were not many butterflies, but European Skippers are quite plentiful right now.


Up at McKeough, I did not see much, but came across at least four Pronghorn Clubtails.  This is a reliable place for them each year.



Today I headed to south Chatham-Kent, and into Elgin and Middlesex.  I killed some time first thing at Keith McLean C. L.  Some shorebirds are still moving north including the semi's (plover and sandpiper).

Semipalmated Sandpiper

I then headed over to Clear Creek and checked out the old quarry.  I was still a bit early in the day, so did not see much.

I saw some Azure Bluets.


One or two Violet Dancers were flying but for some reason, the camera did not want to focus!


Not sure what to do next, I just decided Wardsville Woods was the best option.  It was good and warm by the time I arrived, but oddly there was not much in the way of odonates.

However, early on, a single clubtail made the day.  I spotted a Riverine Clubtail--a rarity indeed!




It was only a couple of years ago these were discovered here, the furthest south record.

It was downhill from there, as I could not find many other odes.  A couple of Midland Clubtails, and other common creatures.

Violet Dancer

A few butterflies included an American Lady.


At home this afternoon, I looked at the garden.  Plants are starting to flower, so insects are attracted.  A couple of new ones for the yard list were tallied.  However, they are European imports!


Eurasian Drone Fly





Oblong Woolcarder Bee

This one is native, but a member of the square-headed wasps.  There are many look-alikes, so not sure on specific species.  I saw it last year as well.

Ectemnius

That is it for now....

No comments:

Post a Comment