Tuesday, June 6, 2023

Uplands, Midlands, Lowlands = More Running Around!

 A couple of days ago my car headed in the direction of Strathroy.  I was hoping to see Upland Sandpiper in a usual spot, but again no luck.  I did hear one though!

I continued on to the Strathroy lagoon site, where once again, Black-necked Stilt is likely nesting.


It is an excellent birding location with Sora and Virginia Rail, Common Gallinule, and various ducks nesting.  And passerines!

After an hour there in early morning, I headed back to the Upland Sandpiper site with no luck yet again.  I knew there were some in the Glencoe area, so that was the next spot.  Bingo!  Right at roadside I saw a pair, and I did not even get out of the car.



What to do next?  I got the notion to check out Wardsville Woods as I headed out of Glencoe.  It is getting that time of year to look for odonates.

Lots of Midland Clubtails were out, but nothing looked  like a Cobra Clubtail.



After milling about the little pond at the back, I caught sight of something I knew right away as an Arrowhead Spiketail.  They have a distinctive shape, flight and perching habit that gives them away, at least to my eyes.



After getting photos of this one, I went back to the car for refreshments. I headed back the trail and saw another one, but was unable to get on it with the camera.

It is early in the season, so hopefully more to come at Wardsville Woods!

Regarding butterflies, they are a bit scarce, but I have already seen several Common Sootywings in various locations.  

Common Sootywing at Wardsville Woods

Monday, I did not do much and stayed close to home.

Common Whitetail (F)

Today was the annual bird survey at Sydenham River Nature Reserve (SRNR).  It is always an opportunity to check out the place, since there is no public access on the Lambton side (you would have to cross private property).  You can get into the Middlesex side off Buttonwood Road, which is on the east side of the Sydenham.

Great-crested Flycatcher

There were not many participants this year, but we got it covered.  I did my usual area on the Lambton side.  Nothing new really.  Song Sparrows were really abundant!

The trusty Blue-winged Warbler was in its usual area.


Towards the "lowland" parts of the reserve, I heard Cerulean Warbler singing along the river, as well as Mourning and American Redstart (plus Yellow, Common Yellowthroat) in the warbler department.

While near the river, I decided to do a quick check for mussels.  It is very shallow and fast moving in this location.  This is a prime spot to look for mussels.



I found some along the edge, but most notably was a Round Hickorynut.  It is a critically imperiled species which I had never encountered before.


Here is a more common species:

Spike


Not much in the way of odes today.  Lots of Midland Clubtails and Common Whitetails, a few Ebony Jewelwings.  No Arrowhead Spiketails!  I had one dancer sp., then this Azure Bluet.


There are some impressive deep ravines here which are something to behold.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment