Saturday, June 3, 2023

Just June Junk

 The other day, I headed north to Sarnia to see a somewhat uncommon butterfly for our region.  A few years ago, Silvery Blue was discovered at Blackwell Trails park.  The park is a former dump converted back to nature and has some good creatures within.

Last year if anyone recalls, I went there and saw the Silvery Blue, a rather attractive lep, for the first time.  This year, I had no problem finding several (about 10) on the wing.  They rarely stop, so getting a photo is difficult.  I managed one good photo, the same one on this blog header.




Silvery Blue is rare in SW Ontario.  There are some records going way back (1981, 1982) at Point Pelee, and there is one NE of Wallaceburg along McCallum Line in 2014.  One has to go farther afield to see them in any numbers!

There were several other species of butterflies, including these two:

Common Checkered-Skipper

Wild Indigo Duskywing

While there, I tallied an Olive-sided Flycatcher, which has been elusive for many this spring in our region.  In typical pose, dressed in a vest, atop a dead tree.



Red-headed Woodpecker is also at Blackwell Trails.



The rare Comet Darner is also found at Logan's Pond within the property.  I have seen it there in the past, but we will have to wait until about mid July to see it!

I zig-zagged home and stopped by Moore WMA.  Odonates are now showing up in variety, and I saw my first Midland Clubtails of the year there.



Water levels are dropping with the lack of rain, and more mussels were showing.  Nothing new, but this nice Mapleleaf wanted to be photographed.



On Thursday, I headed to east Chatham-Kent to see what was around.  Some good birds were seen/heard.

A female Calico Pennant had just emerged at the old quarry at Clear Creek.


Over at Erieau, some "summer" Canvasbacks were resting off the rail trail.


I headed to Point Pelee on Friday.  Some good birds had been showing up there recently, but of course not on my visit (again!).  Just a matter of luck, as some have better luck than others.

However, this time of year, American White Pelicans are a regular at the Tip.  Up to 19 came in on my watch.  Always nice to see!







A couple of immature Little Gulls were mixing with the bonies at the Tip.  Here is one resting on the sand.



Today I stayed close to home and did some bird atlassing.  I realized I had one more point count to do in one square, so I did that.

I did some birding at McKeough CA, then went down to Reid CA.  Nothing new really, but one always has to check!  A late Gray-cheeked Thrush was of note at Reid.

Speaking of odes, Racket-tailed Emerald has recently emerged.  I found a few at Reid today, an excellent place locally to find them.



Seems like the dog days of summer already, but it only early June!  When will we get some much-needed rain?


No comments:

Post a Comment