Sunday, September 25, 2022

Nipissing Notes and Tiny Tales

 Last Sunday I headed out on my annual week off this time of year.  Algonquin Park, in Nipissing, was the main destination.  It had been two years since I was last up there, so it was time to visit again!  One cannot predict things in advance, but the weather left a little to be desired.  Weather forecasts are almost useless anymore anyway, so just go with the plan!

I left Wallaceburg at 04:33 and was in Algonquin about 10:20, including two stops!  Sunday, there is little traffic on the 400 series highways.  

As per tradition, I first stopped to walk the old railway bed off Arowhon Road.  Must have been a sign of things to come, as it was the quietest I have ever seen it.

photo from happier times

To kill time before the campground check-in, I stopped by Cache Lake boat launch area, then walked Two Rivers Trail near the Mew Lake campground.  I lucked into a good-sized flock of warblers and other birds near the end of that trail, which lightened the mood under gloomy skies.


After going into Mew Lake campground, I walked around the old airfield, my favourite place. It was overcast, and few birds were about, but at least I was there.  This spot always has so much potential for good birds.



After a supper, I again walked the old airfield.  I bumped into someone from Sarnia, namely Dave Bourne!  He was with his family for a few days up there.  I am sure he would not mind a mention.

Since rain was forecast, I put a tarp over the tent, and it was a good thing for overnight when it rained. 

The first full day, I usually walk Mizzy Lake trail, but the weather was not good, so I opted for smaller trails and stops.  I walked Spruce Bog Boardwalk at daybreak.  No Spruce Grouse, but what the heck, I will start walking it again.  Not far along, there they were, three of them!

I only carried the point-and-shoot camera due to the weather, so quality is poor in the poor light.



Next trail was Beaver Pond.  Nothing much of note there, before I decided to give the Logging Museum trail a shot.

Just out the car, I heard the familiar call of a Canada Jay, and sure enough, three of them alighted atop a tree.  Very poor lighting again, but here is a photo.



I then walked the trail as it is interesting to look at the displays.  


Near the end, I caught sight of an owl taking off.  Luckily it stopped, and there was a Barred Owl staring at me!


It was certainly a bonus bird not on my radar, at least to photograph.  I have heard them before in Algonquin.

Heading back west, it started pouring, so I sat it out for a while.

After an expensive lunch at Two Rivers Store (good grief, bring your own food!), I had plans to walk Bat Lake trail.  It looked like it would clear for a while, so I started out.  Nope!  I had to head back and wait out some more rain.

Looked like it would clear for a while, so I headed in again for the better part of 6 km.  Well along the trail, it started to come down in buckets.  I kept going anyway, getting soaked to the bone.  About one-third along, the sun finally came out for a nice afternoon!  A little late I must say.

View from the lookout

It was the trail where I last had Boreal Chickadee.  The Boreal in very difficult to find in Algonquin anymore, so it is highly sought-after.  In the past, I did not have much problem with them, finding them in many different locations.  It is said that climate change is a significant factor.

Nothing of note was seen, so after that, I went to take a shower to 'dry' off, lol.

Had a nice walk on the old airfield later on, and came across the only two butterflies of the trip there.

Clouded Sulphur

Orange Sulphur

I usually get American Copper, but could not find a single one this trip!

There were numerous dragonflies seen over the various walks, many being Black-tipped Darners.


The next day, Mizzy Lake trail was on the agenda, and I arrived there at first light.  It is a long, sometimes gruelling 11 km walk, so one has to be prepared.  It was overcast most of the way, but as soon as I got on the old railway bed, I saw more birds.  I had very nice flock of warblers, etc. at one point.  I even heard a Red Crossbill there in the distance.

Raven posing for a moment

West Rose Lake and Wolf Howl pond area was eerily quiet, but I did hear the familiar call of an Evening Grosbeak.  Soon, I saw it fly overhead!  It was another bonus bird that I did not really expect to see.

The trail was overall very quiet for birds, but you never know until you check it out.  I encountered a Ruffed Grouse in probably one of the darkest areas of the entire trail.  Although I put the ISO off the scale, the photo was not good.


By this time, it was near noon, so I headed to Two Rivers Store for an even more expensive lunch.  Oh well, better that someone else get me a good meal!  It was very good, but not on the wallet.

The afternoon, I walked Big Pines Trail.  I found a good number of warblers, etc. here.  The White Pines are impressive on this trail, hence the trail name.


At the back, is a good area to look for dragonflies in the summer, as I recall many years ago on a visit here.  Not this day though!

The rest of the afternoon and evening I took two walks on the old airfield.  Very quiet again, but it was a stellar evening.  


It could get no better with clear skies, and calm conditions.  I was praying for a rarity!  Last time I came up with record-early fall migrant Bohemian Waxwings, but this time, only American Robins as the sun set.



Wednesday, I headed out and for one last walk, I did Whiskey Rapids Trail.  It was horribly quiet.  In my early days, this was my favourite trail, and I had good luck with some of the specialties here, among other things.

It was a reminder of my youth, as this was a trail we walked in the old days.

(don't laugh!)

Just out of the park, I saw the only Moose of the trip, right in the middle of the road!  I was too lazy to get out the camera though.

Off the 400, I headed west through Gravenhurst, then stopped for a walk at Hardy Lake Provincial Park, as I often do.


It was then a beeline to Awenda Provincial Park north of Penetanguishene in Tiny Township.  Getting into the 'shene, the sky to the north was as dark as night.  I waited it out in a park as heavy rain fell.

After it cleared a bit, I went into the the park while the sun came out.  I stopped by Kettle Lake for a look.  One of the maintenance guys came along and he said he had never seen a storm like that here before.  High winds, hail and heavy rain!

The rest of the day was nice, but before sundown, it clouded over and wind came up.  It was terribly windy and a bit concerning at some points.

It was nice along the lakeside later in the afternoon though.

Giant's Tomb Island in the distance


The above is a display on the ship Reliever at the viewing stand.  This ship once sank in the St. Clair River!

I had the notion to head straight to Sarnia the next day, since a good north wind was forecast.  I got up early since the drive was the better part of six hours from there.  I had just got the tent packed, and down came the rain.....again!  So, just as well since it would be no fun at Awenda in the rain.

It poured to just north of Barrie and then the sun came out.  However, all the way to Sarnia, it was either rain or sun, off and on.  The fronts just kept coming!

I arrived at Sarnia after most of the action had occurred with Sabine's Gulls or jaegers unfortunately, but I did the best I could.  Luckily, I stayed a while and saw a Sabine's Gull!  I nice way to end a somewhat damp, whirlwind trip.

Next time, a report on the OFO conference at Point Pelee this past weekend!


No comments:

Post a Comment