Friday, August 12, 2022

This Week's Observations: August 7-12

 Things are picking up, not only with fall bird migration, but butterflies and dragonflies.

I was out to Reid CA late Wednesday for a long walk around the back field, and found some Royal River Cruisers.  I got a decent photo of one, and it was good enough to be Observation of the Week on Project Dragonfly on iNaturalist!!  See Post:

Observation of the Week: royal river cruiser

This week's feature is a royal river cruiser, photographed and logged by iNaturalist user burgbirder in southern Ontario. The royal river cruiser is a large dragonfly that likes to fly fast, low patrols over open water and sunny pathways.

Show your support by liking and commenting on this Observation of the Week on FacebookTwitter or Instagram, and follow us to learn more about Project Dragonfly and other iNaturalist projects.

Join the Project Dragonfly iNaturalist project now to celebrate dragonflies with us all summer long!

dragonfly by burgbirder


Last Sunday afternoon, I went back to Reid CA for a walk (always my go-to place!).  The Great Blue Skimmers were still present.


Other species to look at too.

female Twelve-spotted Skimmer


Some lingering Dukes' Skippers were still messing around.



Earlier that day, I went to Blenheim lagoons to look at shorebirds.  There were lots, and in fact more than I have seen in a long time!  However, no rarities.



Another batch of Common Ringlets are out, as well as other species.  Viceroy butterflies are numerous at Peers Wetland.





One has to keep looking at the little blue butterflies, just in case.  Eastern Tailed-Blue is plentiful right now.


Today I went to Point Pelee to look for butterflies.  As usual I arrive too early, so I looked for birds!  It was a very good day for fall migrants, especially warblers.  The northerly winds the last two days certainly pushed them on.

I saw at least twelve species of warblers.  There were lots of Cape May, and Blackburnian was the most numerous with at least 15.  I spent the first hour at De Laurier.




Things started to warm up as I arrived at Sparrow Field.  Green Darners were the ode of the day with dozens of them through out the park.  There were other species, and I am pretty sure I caught sight of a Great Blue Skimmer at one point.

I did  not go much past the solar panel near the Tip, then headed up west beach trail.  My goal was to see a Little Yellow, but that never materialized!👎

I found a Common Painted-Lady at the Tip parking lot, I think a first one this year for me.



Near the "serengeti" tree, I found a large duskywing.  I was pretty sure Horace's, but had to wait till I got home to study the photo, lol.



Two worn Fiery Skippers were farther up the trail.






I stopped by Hillman marsh to walk around the shorebird cell.  Some checkered-skippers were seen.



A few Peck's Skippers as well.


But, no rarities!

By this time, I was whipped from all the walking!  Headed home.

In the garden was a Peck's and a Common Sootywing.


Boatnerd Note:

WILLIAM E. COREY sailed from Chicago on her maiden voyage August 12, 1905, bound for Duluth, Minnesota to load iron ore. She later became b.) RIDGETOWN in 1963. Used as a breakwater in Port Credit, Ontario, in 1974, and is still there.




No comments:

Post a Comment