Sunday, August 14, 2022

Some Weekend Observations

 Saturday I went down to the Blenheim and Erieau area.  I started at Blenheim lagoons to look at the numerous shorebirds.  They were extremely skittish, so difficult to get on and keep track!  Nothing new, but an apparent "Western" Solitary Sandpiper was present.  It was reported the previous day.

It is not hugely different than the regular sandpiper, but there are some subtle differences. It is possible we have over-looked these in the past, but some have been recorded from time to time in Ontario.  I never got a photo though!  Too skittish!

I did get a photo of a regular Solitary Sandpiper.


A Red-necked Phalarope was present as well.  Always nice to see.



I moved on down to McGeachy Pond, where a number of warblers had stopped on their journey south.  Several species.

Over at the Marsh Trail, more warblers were present, some different than across the road.  Several Cape May and Blackburnian were working the willows.






A nice find was an Olive-sided Flycatcher.  One of my favourite!



Last stop was Keith McLean C. L.  A few shorebirds there.  I looked for butterflies, but there were not many.  I did find several Bronze Coppers.



One Fiery Skipper also caught my eye.



I was not too ambitious this day, so I went home!


Today, I had no idea what to do, but headed east and ended up at Wardsville Woods.  It was an overcast day, but at least the predicted rain did not materialize (no surprise).  The odd warbler was present, including four Bay-breasted Warblers.  Not the best photo...



It was not a good day for insects, but I did see this Common Buckeye.




On my mind was Smoky Rubyspot, since this is about the time of year they appear.  I stopped by Tecumseh Monument park near Thamesville. I managed to see only one, but that was good enough!



Lots of American Rubyspots were around, but no other Smoky.

I looked at mussels while there.  Lots to see.  Pimpleback seems to be the most common there.





No comments:

Post a Comment