Saturday, June 18, 2022

Outings, Odes, Odds 'n Ends

 This is one of my favourite times of year with long days and lots to see, especially with insects.

Seeing the spiketails last Saturday was certainly a highlight, and I seemed to have visited on the right day!  I went there today, and there was not much to see, but there were a couple of good sightings.  Apparently both the Arrowhead and Twin-spotted Spiketails were first records for Middlesex County!

Last Sunday I went to Point Pelee for whatever reason.  I just took a chance, since I have had some good gulls there at the Tip this time of year.  Nothing unusual though!  As expected, some pelicans were at the Tip.


I took my time heading up west beach trail, but yet again, very few insects.

azure

I have spent quite a bit of time at Reid CA lately, but then I alway do this time of year.  Tuesday, I came across a Pronghorn Clubtail.  I think the first one for there, but I get lots up the road at McKeough.



Widow Skimmers have come out in numbers lately.



And, still quite a few Racket-tailed Emeralds kicking around.



I have been looking for Dickcissels in my area, but have come up empty.  Yesterday morning I went down to Fletcher just to see one and get my fix!

Yesterday I spent lots of time at Reid, looking for birds, but as usual, the place is not crawling with them.  

In the "big" tree section, I admired a very large Chinquapin Oak.


The dbh is probably 4'.

After birding, I looked for Oak Hairstreak.....and....found one!  The first for this year, but a well-known person saw one two days previous.  I did not know till later.



I also saw one Banded Hairstreak.

McKeough had a few Pronghorn Clubtails.



Today, I thought I would go back to Skunk's Misery.  However, it was one of those "off" days.  Perhaps the cool temps and strong wind had something to do with it, as it was "off" every place I went.


I first walked Sitler Woods again.

American Chestnut

Then checked other areas, including my favourite trail off Sassafras.  Saw a fledgling Chestnut-sided Warbler, but could not get a photo.  An adult was nearby singing.


Will have to check this spot next weekend, as there could be Oak Hairstreak here! (one was found last year).

Of course, I had to go to Wardsville Woods.  I was disappointed as there was not much to see in the way of odes and unfortunately no sign of any spiketails.

However, there were a few Swamp Darners at the back.



One spot had some clubtails that may be Cobra.  Nobody seems brave enough to tell me otherwise on iNaturalist, so I will have to leave it at that.

The Cobra is rare in Ontario..that is all I know.  They are very similar to Midland (which is common), but I looked at the photos at home.  I am not familiar with Cobra of course, so I may be wrong.


The club is shaped like a cobra head.


Saw the first couple of frits today.




Afterwards, I headed west and briefly stopped at Tecumseh Monument along the Thames to check out the riverbank.  Some American Rubyspots were flying.



Before getting home, I swung around to Reid CA and observed one Oak, and one Banded Hairstreak.  Too windy to get decent photos!



No comments:

Post a Comment