Sunday, June 19, 2022

Odes, and More Odes!

 Today was all about odonates.  A survey of odes was planned at Sydenham River Nature Reserve which straddles Lambton and Middlesex Counties.  It was the second year in a row, and will likely be an annual event!

We did not start until 10:00 (no need to start earlier for insects!), so I took my time travelling to the place by doing some point counts for the atlas, and walking in one spot.  I also spent about 40 minutes at the bridge crossing the Sydenham near the reserve.

A few odes were seen there, including American Rubyspot on the river, and other things.

Blue-tipped Dancer

Midland Clubtail


A good variety of birds was there as well.

Yellow-billed Cuckoo

The reserve was divided up amongst several counters.  I did the two upper fields with help from Anne Goulden.  I found it a bit on the quiet side and we did not find two key species, namely Arrowhead Spiketail and Rusty Snaketail.

Most common dragonfly was Common Whitetail, closely followed by Twelve-spotted Skimmer.

female Twelve-spotted

Blue-fronted Dancers were present by the dozens, plus some Eastern and Fragile Forktails, a few Familiar Bluets and an Azure Bluet.  Slender Spreadwing was added as well.

Familiar Bluet


We did get two Swift River Cruisers, nice large dragon.



After finishing up, we walked back the laneway and stopped to talk to other counters.  James Holdsworth spotted a dragonfly go to perch right beside us.  Turned out to be a Mocha Emerald!  Possibly new for the site.



It was the most drab one I have ever seen, so probably was teneral (just emerged).  We had difficulty identifying it at first.


Afterwards, I traveled south to Mosside Line with Pete C, Paul C. and Scott C. where we found some Great Blue Skimmers.  This impressive dragonfly was one I was looking for yesterday, but the crappy weather (cool and very windy) had some bearing on me coming up empty.



It is a rare species, but sometimes regular in Ontario.  I have only seen two others previously.

We then went down to Wardsville Woods in hopes of finding the Cobra Clubtail.  There is no doubt that is what I found yesterday, but some seem to be hesitant in confirming my ID!

We did not find a Cobra, but did find two separate Arrowhead Spiketails!  A nice way to cap off the day.



I do not have the results of the other parties yet, but it will be interesting to see what was turned up today.


No comments:

Post a Comment